Getting e-mail alerts from the forum

Come here to read our policies, ask questions, make suggestions, or find out the latest news about the B-Hebrew forum.
normansimonr

Getting e-mail alerts from the forum

Post by normansimonr »

Hello everyone. I want to know if in this forum it is possible to have e-mail alerts in my gmail inbox each time one of my posts is replied or one of the threads that I'm following gets an update. It would be an excellent feature to have.

Thank you.
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: Getting e-mail alerts from the forum

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Dear Norman,

Yes, our forum software does indeed have this feature. Go to the User Control Panel. Click on the Board Preferences tab. Then click on Edit Posting Defaults. There are a number of choices here. At the bottom of the list is "Notify me upon replies by default". Choose Yes. Then click "Submit" and you're done.

Hope this helps.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
normansimonr

Post by normansimonr »

Hi, Kirk. Actually that setting has been turned on ("yes") for a long time but I never get any e-mails. And I've checked the e-mail address and it's all right. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you.
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Grrr! Since we have moved to this forum we've had issues with email. It's due to the fact that the hardware of our host does not have a static IP address. Every time the hardware is rebooted the server IP changes, and then all the Internet spam defenses have a panic attack. We've solved it before -- until the next reboot. The solution is to get a static IP address -- for a lot more money.

I'll talk to our host and see what can be done.

There are two workarounds that I know of. But they won't give you exactly what you are looking for.

1. You can subscribe to b-hebrew like a mailing list. It will sent you a "digest" of all new posts in a 24 hour period.

2. At the main index, you can click on "View unread posts" or "View new posts". Since posting here is not high volume, you can easily find any responses to your posts. The downside is that notifications don't get pushed to you.

I hope you find one of these methods helpful.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh
normansimonr

Post by normansimonr »

Okay, I understand. The Feedburner option works pretty well for me. Thanks a lot, Kirk. Have a nice day.
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

I signed up for the daily digest. It sent me a confirmation email, which I confirmed, but I never got any emails.
I checked my spam folder too. Unfortunately, out of sight, out of mind.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)