ברא as ברוא in Genesis 1:1

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Mira de Vries

Re: ברא as ברוא in Genesis 1:1

Post by Mira de Vries »

Hello Isaac,

Whether תאנה זהובה is a recognized species of fig or not does not affect the fact that זהובה is an adjective, not a noun. I gave this example because according to your theory, it should be תאנה זהיבה so that the adjective would contain the word היא. In fact such an adjective exists, but contrary to your theory, the yod is then also in the masculine, for instance בהיר.

All of your examples of סמיכויות are from the language spoken in the political state of Israel today. Why don't you provide examples from תנ"ך? Is that not the subject of this forum? There are plenty. ספר כריתת, רוח קדים, אוהל מועד etc.
Mira de Vries
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Mira,

"According to my theory" the attached or inserted personal pronouns היא - הוּא are genderless, to wit:
שביר =שב-היא-ר is 'breakable', with היא referring to the thing easily passing to the state שבר.
שבוּר = שב-הוּא-ר is 'broken', with הוּא referring to the thing being in the state שבר.
to specify a "female" Hebrew adds a final היא, to wit:
שבירה =שביר-היא as in צלחת =צלח-את שבירה
שבוּרה = שבוּר-היא as in צלחת =צלח-את שבוּרה
צלחת, 'plate', happening to be "female".
Interestingly, it is ZAHOB with an O, but ZHUBAH with an U. The word ZAHUB is already taken for 'a golden coin'.
There is indeed, as you say,בהיר = בה-היא-ר, but also ברוּר = בר-הוּא-ר.
I have brought examples from spoken Hebrew to show how inventive and flexible גמיש Hebrew is, leaning on the Tanakh, but adapting to the vast exigencies of modern times.
I regret I did not add פנס כיס, 'flashlight'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I agree that noun-adjective pairs have nothing to do with the concept of the Hebrew construct, which two or more substantives (nouns, substantivized adjectives [e.g., גְּדׇל־מְמַדִּים], or infinitive constructs) are paired together. This applies to the various substantives drawn from verbs, as well (like שְׁמִירָה, הוֹצָאָה, and הִתְמַצְּאוּת, for example).

The closeness of adjectives to nouns has to do with them being bound within noun phrases (NPs), but that is a concept different from the construct state.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Jason writes
I agree that noun-adjective pairs have nothing to do with the concept of the Hebrew construct, which two or more substantives (nouns, substantivized adjectives [e.g.,גדל־מְמַדִּים], or infinitive constructs) are paired together.
I am sorry, but it escapes me as to what "paired together" implies here.

Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Isaac Fried wrote:Jason writes
I am sorry, but it escapes me as to what "paired together" implies here.
A noun phrase is composed of a noun head and its modifiers.

Noun Phrase → (Determiner) (Quantifier) (Adjective[s]) Noun (Prepositional Phrase)
Ex: "the four big, red apples on the table"
→ "[The four big, red apples on the table] were purchased at the local market."

The elements in parentheses are optional.
Ex: "children"
→ "[​Children​] tend to enjoy cartoons after school."

Every language has its own set of structure rules. When I say "paired together," I mean "subsumed under the same minimal governing node in a syntax tree."

As usual, your ignorance of Linguistics does not invalidate the science.

Two nouns do not modify one another directly, whereas adjectives do directly modify nouns.

An excellent textbook on the topic (Syntax: A Generative Introduction by Andrew Carnie) can currently be purchased used on Amazon.com for about $18. Educate yourself on these issues. It will help you understand much of what undercuts the notions that you continually promote on this forum.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Jason,

Thanks for your meticulous clarification of my enigma. Now if "paired together" will cross my mind I will know that it is but
"subsumed under the same minimal governing node in a syntax tree."

You are right that we need first to consider "a syntax tree", and then carefully look at the "minimal governing node" thereof.