Daniel 7:13 alternative translation

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

Daniel 7:13 alternative translation

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

I can't remember if I showed this alternative translation of Daniel 7:13 on this forum. I tried to look it up, and I can't find it, so maybe I didn't. I don't know if this topic is allowed because it is in Aramaic, but it is in the Hebrew Bible. Also, the word I translate differently is spelled the same in Hebrew and Aramaic. The word is עם which can mean "with" or "a people" in Hebrew and in Aramaic.

7:13חָזֵ֤ה הֲוֵית֙ בְּחֶזְוֵ֣י לֵֽילְיָ֔א וַאֲרוּ֙ עִם־עֲנָנֵ֣י שְׁמַיָּ֔א כְּבַ֥ר אֱנָ֖שׁ אָתֵ֣ה הֲוָ֑ה וְעַד־עַתִּ֤יק יֽוֹמַיָּא֙ מְטָ֔ה וּקְדָמ֖וֹהִי הַקְרְבֽוּהִי׃ 7:14וְלֵ֨הּ יְהִ֤יב שָׁלְטָן֙ וִיקָ֣ר וּמַלְכ֔וּ וְכֹ֣ל עַֽמְמַיָּ֗א אֻמַיָּ֛א וְלִשָּׁנַיָּ֖א לֵ֣הּ יִפְלְח֑וּן שָׁלְטָנֵ֞הּ שָׁלְטָ֤ן עָלַם֙ דִּֽי־לָ֣א יֶעְדֵּ֔ה וּמַלְכוּתֵ֖הּ דִּי־לָ֥א תִתְחַבַּֽל׃ פ

Usually, it is translated as "I saw in visions of night, and behold, with עם clouds of heaven, like a son of man is coming..."
I think it could say "I saw in visions of night, and behold, the people of clouds of heaven, like a son of man is coming..."

Daniel 7:10 mentions many thousands standing there, and Daniel 7:27 says the people will get the kingdom. Maybe the thousands standing there are the people who are given the kingdom. Maybe they come forth like a son of man, like a man, and are given the kingdom.
Kenneth Greifer