Superscripted Alephs in K readings

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
ducky

Re: Superscripted Alephs in K readings

Post by ducky »

In this link, it says that "Q addidi" means that it was added by Weil.
https://books.google.co.il/books?id=Gh6 ... %22&f=true

Does it say that it is not a Masoretic Qere? but only the editor's one?
And if so, how can he write this note on verse 21, which its Qere is surely Masoretic?

I never used BHS so I would appreciate if you can explain to me the notes that are written in (8) and also next to the verses (nonn, mlt, and the others).

Thanks.
David Hunter
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Ah, exactly right! So, "Mp" revers to מסורה קטנה Masorah Parva as opposed to "Mm" מסורה גדולה Masorah Magna.

The superscript 8 refers us to the 8 just below the text, which reads: "Q addidi, cf Mp sub loco." This means, "Qere I added, consult Masorah Parva below." The apparatus says: "Q nonn Mss לְכָה, K לֵךְ"... "Qere in several manuscripts is לְכָה, Kri is לֵךְ."

There is no remark about what these "nonn Mss" are, but it means "several manuscripts."
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

Thanks, Jason.

I saw in the Masora Parva that it writes 'ג' חס (meaning that there are three places which the word לכה is written לך in the meaning of "going") and the other two are:
Num. 23:13
2Chr. 25:17

I tried to see if there is some manuscript that has this word in this verse, in a Qere, but I didn't see one.
Maybe there is, but it would be probably considered a not "loyal" one.

So I guess he fixed it according to this note in the MP (even though I don't understand why it has to be fixed), but I don't understand the note that he based it (the Qere) also on other manuscripts since if there are ones, they are not in the "common group" of manuscripts (I guess).

Can you check the other verses with this same case?
(Num. 23:13; 2Chr. 25:17).

Did he fix the word also there?
and what are the notes that he gave?

Thanks.
David Hunter
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

David,
Yes, both Num 23:13 & 2Chr 25:17 have the same Qere לכה in the margin.
Where do you see "on ג"? I see חד מן ג in the margin.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
ducky

Post by ducky »

Thanks, Steve.

So if BHS writes it also in those places, it is not really a Qere.
It is actually some kind of a commentary that explains the לך as לכה.
Just a regular commentary.
And I don't understand why it uses the term Qere which is a term to read the words (or spell them) in another way according to the MT way.
But here, BHS just writes a commentary, a suggestion. So it is odd to me.

Because the fact that these cases have their MP note that says "three cases", actually says that there is no Qere and that the spelling in the text is as it is.

I saw "ג חס" on the MP of the Allepo Codex and on the Leningrad Codex.
Allepo writes "ג חס"
and Leningrad writes "ג חס בהליכה" (three missing H in the matter of "go")
http://www.seforimonline.org/pdf/264%20 ... %20%5d.pdf
(page 300, in the most left margin, the highest note).

By the way, "ג חס" are both Hebrew, even though the "חס" looks like an English word, it is the Hebrew letter ח (Het) + the Hebrew letter ס (Samekh).
Which the "חס" is short for חסר (missing). and the ג means 3.
So "ג חס" means 3 missing = 3 cases of the word in this matter are written with a missing H (something like that).

Each MP can write its notes in its own way.
So when you see "חד מן ג" (one of three) it is the same as "ג חס".

Not that it matters, but where did you look?

Thanks.
David Hunter
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

Thanks David! That was a very good explanation.
I see the "חד מן ג" in the Mp (side margin) of BHS for all 3 verses. You can see it in the picture for Judges 19:13 margin.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
ducky

Post by ducky »

Thanks, Steve. I see it now.

It says חד מן ג חס בליש.
ליש is short for לישנא (Aramaic for tongue),
which comes to say One of three missing (defective, short spelling) in (this) tongue (a matter of speech = referring to this definition of "Going" as opposed to the other definition of לך "to/for you").

I saw in the notes down that it writes (on note 9): Mm 2214.
So I guess 2214 is the code of the manuscript.
Once again, not that it matters, but if we're already talking, can you please check what is the name of this manuscript 2214? (maybe it is written in BHS abbreviations?)

By the way, if we're already here, in the image, next to the MP note that we're talking about, there is another MP note which writes the Hebrew letter ב.
It refers to the little circle between the words ישראל and הנה, and this letter ב comes to say that the combination of ישראל הנה appears twice in the bible. The second one is in Ex. 39:14.

Thanks.
David Hunter
HebrewLover

Post by HebrewLover »

Mm 2214 refers to the Masorah Magna which says that לכה with the full spelling (so I presume that would be instead of לך) occurs four times in the Hebrew Bible. The Masorah Magna then lists each of those instances: Genesis 27:37; 2 Samuel 18:22; Isaiah 3:6; Psalm 80:3.
Andrew Hodge
ducky

Post by ducky »

Thanks, Andrew.

So what you're saying that BHS gave a note about the opposite case which is the 4 places of לכה comes in the meaning of the common לך.

Thanks.
But how is it understood from the note itself?
what is 2214?
Isn't it a manuscript code (number)?
Did you saw it in that manuscript?

Thanks.
David Hunter
HebrewLover

Post by HebrewLover »

Absolutely, David!

2214 refers you to the Masorah Magna which you can find in its own volume. I believe BHQ (the up and coming Biblia Hebraica Quinta) is attempting to include the full Masorah Magna in its edition. 2214 is not a manuscript; it is a reference to the particular numbered note in the Masorah Magna.

The Masorah Magna are original to the Masoretic scribes. While the Masorah Parva notes (the abbreviated Aramaic notes in the side margins of BHS) reference certain statistics such as how many times a certain words occurs in the Tanakh, the Masorah Magna actually lists out many of those references. There are 4,271 of these notes in my edition (Massorah Gedolah: Manuscrit B. 19a de Léningrad).
Andrew Hodge