Is the Hebrew of "The Hebrew Gospel of Matthew" (13th Century manuscript) anachronistically pure Hebrew?

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
talmid56

Re: Is the Hebrew of "The Hebrew Gospel of Matthew" (13th Century manuscript) anachronistically pure Hebrew?

Post by talmid56 »

I grant that the author's name is not given, and that it is based on tradition. I see no reason, however, to disregard that tradition. The gospels do report that a tax collector named Matthew Levi became a follower of Jesus. My comments on his linguistic competence are based on cultural and historical background of how taxes were collected in Israel by the Romans. They did not do so directly, but "farmed it out" to locals, who often were Jews. And we know from inscriptional evidence ( I include papryi here) that the use of Greek was widespread in the area that included first century Israel.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Re: Is the Hebrew of "The Hebrew Gospel of Matthew" (13th Century manuscript) anachronistically pure Hebrew?

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Friends,

We're starting to wander away from the Hebrew into New Testament questions, which are outside our charter. If we've covered the question of is this ms biblical Hebrew or something related, let's move on.

Thanks!

Kirk
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh