Isaiah 53:8-9 Alternative readings

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

Isaiah 53:8-9 Alternative readings

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

Isaiah 53:8
מֵעֹ֤צֶר וּמִמִּשְׁפָּט֙ לֻקָּ֔ח וְאֶת־דּוֹר֖וֹ מִ֣י יְשׂוֹחֵ֑חַ כִּ֤י נִגְזַר֙ מֵאֶ֣רֶץ חַיִּ֔ים מִפֶּ֥שַׁע עַמִּ֖י נֶ֥גַע לָֽמוֹ

Isaiah 53:9
וַיִּתֵּ֤ן אֶת־רְשָׁעִים֙ קִבְר֔וֹ וְאֶת־עָשִׁ֖יר בְּמֹתָ֑יו עַ֚ל לֹא־חָמָ֣ס עָשָׂ֔ה וְלֹ֥א מִרְמָ֖ה בְּפִֽיו׃

I like to come up with alternative readings of difficult quotes.

Isaiah 53:8 could say "...and with his generation who will talk because he (it) was cut off from life's land."
Or "...and with his generation who will talk because we will be cut off from life's land."

Isaiah 53:9 could say "from the sin of my people is a punishment (a plague) for them, and it (the plague) will make (made) (will place) (placed) with a poor man רש a heap עי from his burying מקברו and with a rich man his high places..."

I think rich people buried their dead in high places possibly.

Anyway, I have many more details and alternative readings besides these, but these are ones I think make the most sense. I think Isaiah 53 is about King Hezekiah, and I discuss a lot of that in my self-published book where I give new readings for almost every quote there. I like to divide the letters into different words, if a quote doesn't make sense to me as it is, so I have a lot of that in the book.
Kenneth Greifer