Ezekiel 36:26 tenses

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Michael W Abernathy

Ezekiel 36:26 tenses

Post by Michael W Abernathy »

וְנָתַתִּ֤י לָכֶם֙ לֵ֣ב חָדָ֔שׁ וְר֥וּחַ חֲדָשָׁ֖ה אֶתֵּ֣ן בְּקִרְבְּכֶ֑ם וַהֲסִ֨רֹתִ֜י אֶת־לֵ֤ב הָאֶ֨בֶן֙ מִבְּשַׂרְכֶ֔ם וְנָתַתִּ֥י לָכֶ֖ם לֵ֥ב בָּשָֽׂר׃
I was looking at Ezekiel 36:26 and I noted that most translations give the same meaning to וְנָתַתִּ֤י and אֶתֵּ֣ן. While I understand why they are both translated “I will give,” אֶתֵּ֣ן stands out as the only imperfect in the passage. Was this just a stylistic choice or is there a different connotation?
Jason Hare

Re: Ezekiel 36:26 tenses

Post by Jason Hare »

This form is extremely common. It's vav-consecutive with perfect (what Cook and Holmstedt would term the irreal perfect). It has to do with the word order in the phrases.

וְנָתַתִּ֤י לָכֶם֙ לֵ֣ב חָדָ֔שׁ - vav+verb i.o. d.o.
וְר֥וּחַ חֲדָשָׁ֖ה אֶתֵּ֣ן בְּקִרְבְּכֶ֑ם - d.o. verb p.p.
וַהֲסִ֨רֹתִ֜י אֶת־לֵ֤ב הָאֶ֨בֶן֙ מִבְּשַׂרְכֶ֔ם - vav+verb d.o. p.p.
וְנָתַתִּ֥י לָכֶ֖ם לֵ֥ב בָּשָֽׂר׃ - vav+verb i.o. d.o.

Since the passage is speaking of the future, when the verb appears in first position connected to vav, it is in the perfect. If the direct object is fronted (for chiasm or for topic/focus), the verb is imperfect. These are the only two cases we have here in this passage, and the verbs are doing exactly what we would expect them to do.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Michael W Abernathy

Post by Michael W Abernathy »

Thanks. I did not realize that the word order would change what tense would be used.
Jonathan Beck

Post by Jonathan Beck »

Jason Hare wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:54 pm This form is extremely common. It's vav-consecutive with perfect (what Cook and Holmstedt would term the irreal perfect). It has to do with the word order in the phrases.
Hey, Jason's stealing my gimmick! LOL.
Jonathan Beck
Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion, Cincinnati
Interim Pastor, Norwood Grace UMC, Cincinnati, OH.
Jonathan Beck

Post by Jonathan Beck »

Michael W Abernathy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:26 pm Thanks. I did not realize that the word order would change what tense would be used.
Technically, what they call the irreal perfect isn't a tense, it's a mood. The idea that the vav converts the tense from past to future is antiquated and, arguably, wrong. :)

Jonathan
Jonathan Beck
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Jonathan Beck wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:28 pm
Michael W Abernathy wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:26 pm Thanks. I did not realize that the word order would change what tense would be used.
Technically, what they call the irreal perfect isn't a tense, it's a mood. The idea that the vav converts the tense from past to future is antiquated and, arguably, wrong. :)

Jonathan
So, you'd argue that it represents a shift in mood, not in tense?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jonathan Beck

Post by Jonathan Beck »

So, you'd argue that it represents a shift in mood, not in tense?
Correct.
Jonathan Beck
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Ezekiel 36:26-27
וְנָתַתִּי לָכֶם לֵב חָדָשׁ וְרוּחַ חֲדָשָׁה אֶתֵּן בְּקִרְבְּכֶם וַהֲסִרֹתִי אֶת לֵב הָאֶבֶן מִבְּשַׂרְכֶם וְנָתַתִּי לָכֶם לֵב בָּשָׂר וְאֶת רוּחִי אֶתֵּן בְּקִרְבְּכֶם וְעָשִׂיתִי אֵת אֲשֶׁר בְּחֻקַּי תֵּלֵכוּ וּמִשְׁפָּטַי תִּשְׁמְרוּ וַעֲשִׂיתֶם
KJV: "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them"
All still waiting to transpire.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
www.hebrewetymology.com