Unicode/XML Leningrad Codex: New default Hebrew web font

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
cvkimball

Unicode/XML Leningrad Codex: New default Hebrew web font

Post by cvkimball »

The Unicode/XML Leningrad Codex at <https://tanach.us> has been updated to Build 26.4.

No changes to the Hebrew text have been made. The text version remains at UXLC 1.3.

The default web font has been changed to Taamey D Web by Ben Denckla; it distinguishes between the yerah ben yomo and atnah hafukh accents and has been designed to reduce mark collisions. The Shofar font remains available as a user-installed font.

Chapter numbers now appear only on the first verse of a text selection.

Please clear your browser cache and, preferably, cookies before viewing the new version.

Chris Kimball
West Redding, CT
USA
Kenneth Greifer

Re: Unicode/XML Leningrad Codex: New default Hebrew web font

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

cvkimball wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:43 pm
Please clear your browser cache and, preferably, cookies before viewing the new version.

Chris Kimball
West Redding, CT
USA
How do you do that?
Kenneth Greifer
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:06 pm

Chris Kimball
West Redding, CT
USA
How do you do that?
Depends on which browser you use. Try Googling "clear browser cache and cookies" with the name of the browser that you use.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kenneth Greifer

Jason Hare wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:06 am
Kenneth Greifer wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:06 pm

Chris Kimball
West Redding, CT
USA
How do you do that?
Depends on which browser you use. Try Googling "clear browser cache and cookies" with the name of the browser that you use.
I thought maybe you could clear cookies for a specific site. If you clear them for every site at the same time, then maybe it will also clear passwords that are saved for certain sites. I don't know, and I don't want to lose all of them for one site's benefit.
Kenneth Greifer
cvkimball

Post by cvkimball »

Clearing the cache will not cause a loss of passwords.

Clearing the cookies may. For my setup, I'm forced into tougher login procedures when I clear the cookies. Cookies are NOT a good place to put passwords, though.

Please see if the site works correctly clearing only the cache. If the font name appears as "UNKNOWN", change the font to a font available on your computer, or, better yet to "Taamey D Web". It's the new default web font and the best font around.

Chris Kimball
West Redding, CT
USA
Kenneth Greifer

cvkimball wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:29 am Clearing the cache will not cause a loss of passwords.

Clearing the cookies may. For my setup, I'm forced into tougher login procedures when I clear the cookies. Cookies are NOT a good place to put passwords, though.

Please see if the site works correctly clearing only the cache. If the font name appears as "UNKNOWN", change the font to a font available on your computer, or, better yet to "Taamey D Web". It's the new default web font and the best font around.

Chris Kimball
West Redding, CT
USA
I don't put passwords into cookies. Sometimes, the computer asks you if you want to save a password that you just entered into some site, and I say yes, and it does save it. I don't know where or how it saves the passwords. If clearing the cache means refreshing the screen with that circular arrow, then that is not a problem for me.
Kenneth Greifer
cvkimball

Post by cvkimball »

Pushing the screen refresh button, usually a circular arrow, doesn't clear the cache.

The cache may hold old versions of site files, usually ones the viewer doesn't know about. This may cause big problems!

The cookie at issue holds the font name last chosen by the viewer.

If you took the build 26.3 default font, "ShofarWeb", that font is no longer provided as a web font and the font type on the Book page will be "UNKNOWN"; the text will be displayed in the system font of your machine. Changing the font to "Taamey D Web" or to any other user-installed font should give you better text displays.

If you liked the "ShofarWeb" font, you can download the ShofarRegular.ttf file on the Installation page, install it on your machine, and change the font to "Shofar" at the site.

Chris Kimball
West Redding, CT
USA