Isaiah 9

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Re: Isaiah 9

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:28 pm Are you kidding? Even your translation doesn’t make that case. Actually the translation should be “My God is Yah”.

Karl W. Randolph.
“God is with us” means that the child is God, but “My God is Yah” doesn't mean that the prophet is God? These are theophoric names. I’m surprised you don’t see how this demonstrates the oddness of your claim.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kenneth Greifer

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:50 am
kwrandolph wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:47 am
Jason Hare wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:58 pm

Yes. If the child was born in that day (as per the prophecy), it was to indicate that God was with Judah and would not allow them to fall to the two kings that they had been afraid of. עִמָּ֫נוּ אֵל indicates that God is “with us,” with Judah, and (by corollary) opposed to our enemies. It does not mean that the child himself is God among men. If that is what you are asking, then no one has ever fulfilled it.
No, that’s not what the passage says. When it says that the child’s name is “God is with us”, that means that the child himself is “God is with us”. The “name” refers to the child’s nature.

I won’t argue whether that prophecy has been fulfilled or not, you already know my answer.

Karl W. Randolph.
Do you think that Isaiah's children's names refer to their nature in Isaiah 7:3 and 8:3, a remnant shall return and whatever you translate the other name as מַהֵ֥ר שָׁלָ֖ל חָ֥שׁ בַּֽז?
I think these two names are better examples of prophetic names not being about the kids.
Kenneth Greifer
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:23 pm I think these two names are better examples of prophetic names not being about the kids.
Can you imagine if people spent all their time arguing about the identification of Mahēr–Šālāl–Ḥāš–Baz? It’s the significance of the name, not the identification of the child, that is important for the prophet’s message. What’s the prophet’s message here? God is with Judah. The two kings that Judah fears will soon come to their end. Judah should not be shaking in fear, but they should trust in God, who is about to demonstrate to them that he is on their side.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:31 pm
kwrandolph wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:28 pm Are you kidding? Even your translation doesn’t make that case. Actually the translation should be “My God is Yah”.

Karl W. Randolph.
“God is with us” means that the child is God, but “My God is Yah” doesn't mean that the prophet is God? These are theophoric names. I’m surprised you don’t see how this demonstrates the oddness of your claim.
Look at the names. One says that he is God. The other says that he worships God. I’m surprised that you didn’t notice that difference.

Karl W. Randolph.
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:23 pm
Kenneth Greifer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:50 am Do you think that Isaiah's children's names refer to their nature in Isaiah 7:3 and 8:3, a remnant shall return and whatever you translate the other name as מַהֵ֥ר שָׁלָ֖ל חָ֥שׁ בַּֽז?
I think these two names are better examples of prophetic names not being about the kids.
Kenneth: you force me to answer more deeply.

When God gives a name, God refers to that person’s nature or something important connected with that name, such as a prophecy. That “name” is not necessarily the child’s given name, e.g. 2 Samuel 12:25.

Parents sometimes followed that practice, more often didn’t.

Karl W. Randolph.
Kenneth Greifer

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

kwrandolph wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:49 am
Kenneth Greifer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:23 pm
Kenneth Greifer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:50 am Do you think that Isaiah's children's names refer to their nature in Isaiah 7:3 and 8:3, a remnant shall return and whatever you translate the other name as מַהֵ֥ר שָׁלָ֖ל חָ֥שׁ בַּֽז?
Kenneth: you force me to answer more deeply.

When God gives a name, God refers to that person’s nature or something important connected with that name, such as a prophecy. That “name” is not necessarily the child’s given name, e.g. 2 Samuel 12:25.

Parents sometimes followed that practice, more often didn’t.

Karl W. Randolph.
Karl,
Instead of just putting a quote 2 Samuel 12:25, it would help if you would at least paraphrase it and explain what you mean, so everyone won't have to go look it up. I don't get your point about this quote. I looked it up, but I don't know what you mean.
I also don't understand how the names in Isaiah 7:3 and 8:3 show or don't show the kids' nature. Isaiah 9:5-6 gives a name, but I don't see your point. Maybe you could be more specific and less vague. You never really go into details about what you believe and spell things out. You somehow think people can figure out what you mean without you actually saying it. Maybe I am stupid, or you are vague, or maybe both.
Kenneth Greifer
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:38 am
Jason Hare wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:31 pm

Karl W. Randolph.
Look at the names. One says that he is God. The other says that he worships God. I’m surprised that you didn’t notice that difference.

Karl W. Randolph.
I still don’t know what you’re talking about. The Immanuel passage does not say that the child is God. You’re reading that into the verse.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳