Proverbs 8:19

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

Proverbs 8:19

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

Proverbs 8:19 משלי
8:19 ט֣וֹב פִּ֭רְיִי מֵחָר֣וּץ וּמִפָּ֑ז וּ֝תְבוּאָתִ֗י מִכֶּ֥סֶף נִבְחָֽר׃

My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; And my produce than choice silver. (JPS 1917)

Do you think the word נִבְחָֽר is used as an adjective or a verb or both, and does it say the silver is chosen or the crop (produce) is chosen?
Does it say "and my crop (produce) is chosen more than silver" or "and my crop is better than chosen (choice) silver?"

In Leviticus 25:22, the word "crop" which is feminine seems to be used with a masculine adjective "old"?

Leviticus 25:22 ויקרא
25:22 וּזְרַעְתֶּ֗ם אֵ֚ת הַשָּׁנָ֣ה הַשְּׁמִינִ֔ת וַאֲכַלְתֶּ֖ם מִן־הַתְּבוּאָ֣ה יָשָׁ֑ן עַ֣ד ׀ הַשָּׁנָ֣ה הַתְּשִׁיעִ֗ת עַד־בּוֹא֙ תְּב֣וּאָתָ֔הּ תֹּאכְל֖וּ יָשָֽׁן
Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer

Re: Proverbs 8:19

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:06 am Proverbs 8:19 משלי
8:19 ט֣וֹב פִּ֭רְיִי מֵחָר֣וּץ וּמִפָּ֑ז וּ֝תְבוּאָתִ֗י מִכֶּ֥סֶף נִבְחָֽר׃

My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; And my produce than choice silver. (JPS 1917)

Do you think the word נִבְחָֽר is used as an adjective or a verb or both, and does it say the silver is chosen or the crop (produce) is chosen?
Does it say "and my crop (produce) is chosen more than silver" or "and my crop is better than chosen (choice) silver?"

In Leviticus 25:22, the word "crop" which is feminine seems to be used with a masculine adjective "old"?

Leviticus 25:22 ויקרא
25:22 וּזְרַעְתֶּ֗ם אֵ֚ת הַשָּׁנָ֣ה הַשְּׁמִינִ֔ת וַאֲכַלְתֶּ֖ם מִן־הַתְּבוּאָ֣ה יָשָׁ֑ן עַ֣ד ׀ הַשָּׁנָ֣ה הַתְּשִׁיעִ֗ת עַד־בּוֹא֙ תְּב֣וּאָתָ֔הּ תֹּאכְל֖וּ יָשָֽׁן
There are more examples. Proverbs 8:10, 16:16, 21:3, and 22:1 also have the word "choice" or "chosen."
Kenneth Greifer
ducky

Re: Proverbs 8:19

Post by ducky »

Hi,

The נבחר in 8:19 is linked to the silver.
(It probably comes in the meaning of choice in a way of בחר=בחן=צרף).

In Proverbs 16:16 the נבחר is in the meaning of chosen (as better) and it is not the Silver's adjective

The תבואה in Levi doesn't act as masculine.
The word ישן comes just as a "term" (as a noun), and it is not linked directly to the word תבואה (in the manner of its adjective).
you can see it in the end of the verse where it just says תאכלו ישן.

it comes as a "term" just like in Levi 26:10 וְיָשָׁן מִפְּנֵי חָדָשׁ תּוֹצִיאוּ

David Hunter