Ezekiel 24:24 mistake at end of quote?

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

Ezekiel 24:24 mistake at end of quote?

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

Ezekiel 24:24 יחזקאל
24:24 וְהָיָ֨ה יְחֶזְקֵ֤אל לָכֶם֙ לְמוֹפֵ֔ת כְּכֹ֥ל אֲשֶׁר־עָשָׂ֖ה תַּעֲשׂ֑וּ בְּבֹאָ֕הּ וִֽידַעְתֶּ֕ם כִּ֥י אֲנִ֖י אֲדֹנָ֥י יְהוִֽה׃

Thus shall Ezekiel be unto you a sign; according to all that he hath done shall ye do; when this cometh, then shall ye know that I am the Lord GOD.

Is there a mistake at the end of the quote? Does it say "I am the lord of the L-rd" or "I am my L-rd, the L-rd" or what?
Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer

Re: Ezekiel 24:24 mistake at end of quote?

I see the same words from Ezekiel 24:24 are used as "I am the L-rd the L-rd" in Ezekiel 13:9, 23:49, 28:24, and 29:16. I always thought it said "my L-rd the L-rd."
Kenneth Greifer
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

כִּי אֲנִי אֲדֹנָי יְהוִה as meaning "that I am adonai Yahweh" or "that I am the Lord Yahweh" is a regular phrase used in the Tanakh (293 times according to my search results on Logos).

Remember that יהוה is a name and not just any old word, and it was only due to a theological development which caused it to be unpronounced and had a substitution used in its place. One can see this in the LXX where we find the double κύριος κύριος employed in places where אֲדֹנָי יְהוִה occurs.

The Greek manuscripts among the DSS show usage of יהוה in the paleo-Hebrew script used where later LXX manuscripts use κύριος, so one thing that may've occurred in the earlier Greek translation of the Tanakh was κύριος יהוה, which was then changed in later manuscripts.

But anyway; no, not a mistake at the end. :)
Ste Walch
Kenneth Greifer

S_Walch wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:06 am כִּי אֲנִי אֲדֹנָי יְהוִה as meaning "that I am adonai Yahweh" or "that I am the Lord Yahweh" is a regular phrase used in the Tanakh (293 times according to my search results on Logos).

Remember that יהוה is a name and not just any old word, and it was only due to a theological development which caused it to be unpronounced and had a substitution used in its place. One can see this in the LXX where we find the double κύριος κύριος employed in places where אֲדֹנָי יְהוִה occurs.

The Greek manuscripts among the DSS show usage of יהוה in the paleo-Hebrew script used where later LXX manuscripts use κύριος, so one thing that may've occurred in the earlier Greek translation of the Tanakh was κύριος יהוה, which was then changed in later manuscripts.

The phrase "the Lord God" is used in many quotes, but "I am the Lord the Lord (4 letter name)" is only used in the few quotes I listed. The other quotes have the word "I am the Lord God."
Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:28 am I see the same words from Ezekiel 24:24 are used as "I am the L-rd the L-rd" in Ezekiel 13:9, 23:49, 28:24, and 29:16. I always thought it said "my L-rd the L-rd."
Maybe Ezekiel says you or they will know "my Lord, the Lord (4 letter name)" many times, and five times, scribes got confused and wrote this when it should have just said "the Lord (4 letter name)." In these quotes, it doesn't make sense as you or they will know "...that I am my Lord, the Lord (4 letter name)." I understand it could say "lord " instead of ""my Lord", but it could also be by mistake because the phrase "my Lord" is used a lot in Ezekiel.
Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer

S_Walch wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:06 am כִּי אֲנִי אֲדֹנָי יְהוִה as meaning "that I am adonai Yahweh" or "that I am the Lord Yahweh" is a regular phrase used in the Tanakh (293 times according to my search results on Logos).

Could you show me one or two quotes where it says this phrase "I am the Lord the Lord (4 letter name)." I could only find the 5 that I listed? I used Blue letter Bible with strong numbers h136 and h3068, but they also have h3069 for the 4 letter name for some reason.
I looked up: I am h136 h3068 and found these 5 quotes. Ezekiel 13:9, 23:49, 24:24, 28:24, and 29:16.
Kenneth Greifer
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:39 pm Does it say "I am the lord of the L-rd" or "I am my L-rd, the L-rd" or what?
The translation definitely isn't "I am my L-rd" since there is no pronominal suffix (if it had the suffix the word would be אֲדֹנִ֔י)
Kenneth Greifer

Glenn Dean wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:55 am
Kenneth Greifer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:39 pm Does it say "I am the lord of the L-rd" or "I am my L-rd, the L-rd" or what?
The translation definitely isn't "I am my L-rd" since there is no pronominal suffix (if it had the suffix the word would be אֲדֹנִ֔י)
Are you assuming that the vowels are right? I don't think Ezekiel or his scribe wrote the vowels down at that time. I think that maybe a later scribe copied what it said wrong by adding the word "my Lord" because "my Lord the Lord" is used a lot of times in the book of Ezekiel, so maybe the scribe wasn't paying attention and then later people kept it.
Kenneth Greifer
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

I'm almost certain you can NOT put a suffix on the construct noun (in a construct chain) - if there is a suffix it must be on the absolute noun.

So conjecturing that אדני could possibly have a suffix is grammatically incorrect (not to mention the shear awkwardness of "you shall know that I (am) my Lord Yahweh"
Kenneth Greifer

Glenn Dean wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:03 pm I'm almost certain you can NOT put a suffix on the construct noun (in a construct chain) - if there is a suffix it must be on the absolute noun.

So conjecturing that אדני could possibly have a suffix is grammatically incorrect (not to mention the shear awkwardness of "you shall know that I (am) my Lord Yahweh"
I said that I think that these 5 verses have a mistake in them because it doesn't make sense as it is. I am not saying it is right this way. I am saying it is wrong because they wrote "...that I am my Lord the Lord" by mistake when it should only say "...that I am the Lord" in those quotes.
Kenneth Greifer