What is your litmus test?

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
David Colo

What is your litmus test?

Post by David Colo »

For those of you who are interested in English translations of the Hebrew Bible, I wonder if you have any particular verses you turn to right away to gauge the quality of a particular translation (I use the term "translation" rather loosely, of course, because most English "translations" are actually revisions of someone else's work). For example, I sometimes like to see how translators deal with שׁבעות מטות אמר in Hab 3:9, בית־לה in Ezek 1:27, or כלם in Mic 1:2--if they do at all.
Kenneth Greifer

Re: What is your litmus test?

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

Deuteronomy 6:4. Do they say "Hear, O, Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord" or "the Lord is our God, the Lord is one." Or some other translation.
Kenneth Greifer
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:42 pm Deuteronomy 6:4. Do they say "Hear, O, Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord" or "the Lord is our God, the Lord is one." Or some other translation.
What other translation could it possibly be?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kenneth Greifer

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:06 pm
Kenneth Greifer wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:42 pm Deuteronomy 6:4. Do they say "Hear, O, Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord" or "the Lord is our God, the Lord is one." Or some other translation.
What other translation could it possibly be?
Sometimes, instead of "one" they say "is alone." Some say "The Lord is our God" or "the Lord our God" without "is." Different combinations of "one" or "alone" or with "is" or without "is." I think "one" is interpreted differently than "alone", but I am not sure if they see the words as having different meanings. I don't like if they say "is one Lord."
Kenneth Greifer
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:39 pm Sometimes, instead of "one" they say "is alone." Some say "The Lord is our God" or "the Lord our God" without "is." Different combinations of "one" or "alone" or with "is" or without "is." I think "one" is interpreted differently than "alone", but I am not sure if they see the words as having different meanings. I don't like if they say "is one Lord."
Is there a reason that this is troublesome to you? Have you tried to consider why they might translate it that way?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kenneth Greifer

I don't think it can say "one Lord." Do you?
Kenneth Greifer
ducky

Post by ducky »

It is said: (Y=the name of God)
Y is our Lord, Y is one

(Can you offer another reading?)
David Hunter