Live Online Hebrew Reading (Joshua)

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
S_Walch

Re: Live Online Hebrew Reading (Joshua)

Post by S_Walch »

Successful second steam accomplished I'd say :) Very much enjoying everyone's insights!

Regarding Gesenius and his opinions on YHWH as mentioned in the Stream: I have done a (somewhat literal) translation from his final Latin grammar/thesaurus, Thesaurus philologicus criticus, which is his last personal discussion on the topic (following editions were done after Gesenius' death, so were updated with others opinions), which I'll happily share if people would like to read it. :)
Ste Walch
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

S_Walch wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:46 pm Successful second steam accomplished I'd say :) Very much enjoying everyone's insights!

Regarding Gesenius and his opinions on YHWH as mentioned in the Stream: I have done a (somewhat literal) translation from his final Latin grammar/thesaurus, Thesaurus philologicus criticus, which is his last personal discussion on the topic (following editions were done after Gesenius' death, so were updated with others opinions), which I'll happily share if people would like to read it. :)
I would certainly be interested in reading it. I had been wondering if he changed his mind on that due to opposition he may have encountered from some who thought that this opinion was offensive. I would like to see what he had to say after changing his mind.

By the way, I’ve now updated a streaming schedule in the meantime. I think the goal will eventually be to move everything to Monday, but this next week I’ve been set to work on Monday night against my will. The schedule can be found here: Live Streaming at The Hebrew Café.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

Jason Hare wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:37 amI would certainly be interested in reading it. I had been wondering if he changed his mind on that due to opposition he may have encountered from some who thought that this opinion was offensive. I would like to see what he had to say after changing his mind.
Your wish is my command :D

This is Gesenius' Thesaurus available via Archive.org (love this place).

I've put the docs on my Google Drive for anyone to view. Typed out Latin Original | Literalish English Translation

If I ever get round to doing the further discussion in the Thesaurus on the combination of YHWH with other words and names (further 4 pages long, with a lot of editing required), I'll update the above docs. :)
Jason Hare wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:37 amBy the way, I’ve now updated a streaming schedule in the meantime. I think the goal will eventually be to move everything to Monday, but this next week I’ve been set to work on Monday night against my will. The schedule can be found here: Live Streaming at The Hebrew Café.
To be fair any day of the week is fine for me; I'll always make time :) Would prefer it a little earlier though (which I'm guessing you would as well, Jason, as you're two hours ahead of me as it is!), but presuming it's because it's likely too early in the day for Luke and Jonathan.
Ste Walch
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

S_Walch wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:52 am
Jason Hare wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:37 amI would certainly be interested in reading it. I had been wondering if he changed his mind on that due to opposition he may have encountered from some who thought that this opinion was offensive. I would like to see what he had to say after changing his mind.
Your wish is my command :D

This is Gesenius' Thesaurus available via Archive.org (love this place).

I've put the docs on my Google Drive for anyone to view. Typed out Latin Original | Literalish English Translation

If I ever get round to doing the further discussion in the Thesaurus on the combination of YHWH with other words and names (further 4 pages long, with a lot of editing required), I'll update the above docs. :)
That’s really a lot of information. I read through it lightly, but I don’t have time to spend on it to go over all that he had to say.
S_Walch wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:52 am
Jason Hare wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:37 amBy the way, I’ve now updated a streaming schedule in the meantime. I think the goal will eventually be to move everything to Monday, but this next week I’ve been set to work on Monday night against my will. The schedule can be found here: Live Streaming at The Hebrew Café.
To be fair any day of the week is fine for me; I'll always make time :) Would prefer it a little earlier though (which I'm guessing you would as well, Jason, as you're two hours ahead of me as it is!), but presuming it's because it's likely too early in the day for Luke and Jonathan.
As I’ve got the schedule now, I’m able to be done by 03:30 on Monday night (3 sessions) and by 02:30 on Tuesday night (2 sessions). Each day’s sessions start at midnight for me. I wish I could start earlier, but I have a work schedule to keep also. I can’t get out of my work before 23:00. This is how it needs to be for now.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳