Psalm 55:9 Missing nun?

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Re: Psalm 55:9 Missing nun?

Post by Jason Hare »

ducky wrote:I got confused a little bit.
hapax legomenon is kinda complicated and I'm sure I will write it wrong.
If a word happens only once in the Bible, can I call it a single word (or singular)?
Right. A word can appear a given amount of times within a given corpus. It can be a hapax legomenon in Isaiah but appear 20 times in the rest of the Bible. Or, it can be a hapax legomenon in the whole Bible. If we're talking about two different words, we say that each is a hapax legomenon in a given text, and together there are two hapax legomena in that text.

Have you not studied Greek? This is the passive participle of λέγω lego. It means that a word is "said once." We should probably call them ἅπαξ γραφόμενα hapax graphomena, since they are technically WRITTEN once, not SPOKEN once. I don't get to make up the terminology, though. ;)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hello Jason, and thanks again.

I once was in a Greek course, but I left after two lessons because it didn't interest me.
Maybe I should have stuck with it.
David Hunter
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

ducky wrote:Hello Jason, and thanks again.

I once was in a Greek course, but I left after two lessons because it didn't interest me.
Maybe I should have stuck with it.
Interested in doing a course of Greek? We can go through one over on B-Greek! Just if you're interested.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hi Jason and thanks.
But I don't have time for that nor a big motivation for that.

But I'm glad that you are familiar with the Greek so I can have someone to ask about some Sept. verses.

And thanks again.
David Hunter
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

And you can also use the terms hapax (singular), and hapaxes (plural) for short. Related to this, Jason: when discussing this topic in Israeli Hebrew, would a Hebrew equivalent be used, or would the Greek one(s) be used?

While I understand the historical reasons for using such terms as hapax in Hebrew studies, I would love to see more native Hebrew terms used. Which is why I've adopted the usage of some here on B-Hebrew of qatol and yiqtol, instead of perfect and imperfect.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

talmid56 wrote:And you can also use the terms hapax (singular), and hapaxes (plural) for short. Related to this, Jason: when discussing this topic in Israeli Hebrew, would a Hebrew equivalent be used, or would the Greek one(s) be used?
מִלָּה יְחִידָאִית (pl. מִלִּים יְחִידָאִיּוֹת) :)
talmid56 wrote:While I understand the historical reasons for using such terms as hapax in Hebrew studies, I would love to see more native Hebrew terms used. Which is why I've adopted the usage of some here on B-Hebrew of qatol and yiqtol, instead of perfect and imperfect.
I'm afraid that qatol and yiqtol would not be understood by Israelis as model verb forms. You'd have to talk about pa'ol and yiph'al. All binyanim and mishkalim are named with reference to √פעל. I don't actually know what the grammatical name for the infinitive absolute (pa'ol) is in Hebrew, since it isn't part of the modern tongue. I'll try to find that and get back to you.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

It seems like it's just called מָקוֹר. The infinitive construct with lamed prefix is normally called שֵׁם הַפּ֫וֹעַל.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳