Zechariah 4:6-7 Masoretic Mistake?

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

Re: Zechariah 4:6-7 Masoretic Mistake?

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

David,

I have never heard the argument that some words are used for bad things and some are used for good things always. Your argument is new to me. I am not saying you are right or wrong. It would be interesting to hear other people's opinions about that. I think that is what you are saying by pointing out how the word mountain is used about negative things and the word for plain is connected to good things. Since the argument is new to me, I really can't say anything about it.
Kenneth Greifer
ducky

Re: Zechariah 4:6-7 Masoretic Mistake?

Post by ducky »

Hello Kenneth

You don't have to trust my words
Just check it yourself.

Since you want to see the mountain and the plain as metaphors for the quality of the person
(never mind the quantity)

Check your lexicon for all of the words that use the root ישר when it describes a person
ותישר בעיניו
and so on
Also, check it when it comes to describes a way of life" (righteous or not).

and then ask yourself, Could it be that a man would be described as מישור in that way you want?

Also, check the other words that have the meaning of "curve"
mountains, curving, and all that (I wrote some in my last common)
And check how they come to describe a person or way of life.

I never saw that a mountain ever describes a person.
Also in my comment that I brought from Jer. It represents the Empire (but not a person).
But if it would - it would be probably referring to physical strength or his "stability".

I want to say that I am never against any new idea
But I just see it fits more with the common understanding (not only because of this metaphor but also because of the other things I mentioned).
And I'm not trying to convince you to mine - all I do is show you why the common understanding has a strong base.
David Hunter