translation of Daniel 9:26

Discussion must focus on the Hebrew text (including text criticism) and its ancient translations, not on archaeology, modern language translations, or theological controversies.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Re: translation of Daniel 9:26

Post by Jason Hare »

I've very common for Hebrew to use a singular form for numbers beyond 11. See Gesenius 134.2 on this.

singular-with-numbers1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kenneth Greifer

Re: translation of Daniel 9:26

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

Jason,
Just for interest, I don't know what quote I was thinking about, but Leviticus 12:5 does not say "two weeks days", just "two weeks." I was thinking about something else and confused what Karl said a long time ago. I think he said somewhere, but I don't know where, that the word "2 weeks" in Leviticus 12:5 means "seventy" which he took as "seventy days", even though it doesn't say "days." I don't have any idea how I confused this whole thing. I guess I need eyeglasses or something. I was looking at other quotes that say "three weeks days" (Daniel 10:2-3), and I think that confused me, but it is still interesting to understand the strange rule you pointed out in Gesenius' book. I guess I make a lot of mistakes. Sorry.
Kenneth Greifer