Lion

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Saboi

Lion

Post by Saboi »

They are many names for Lion, even in the same verse and the Lexicon it's useful at all.

לביא - From an unused root men to roar (Strong's)
- שאגת "Roar" (cf. φθογγῇ)

ליש
- λίς (Lliad 11.210)

This is the same word used in Homer, so why does the lexicon give it a false root and the word structurally
similar too לביא with an Aramaic ending and the noun is heterogeneous and thus an adjective determines the
gender.

λίς
λίς - Noun sg masc nom
λῖτα - Noun sg masc/fem acc
λῖν - noun sg masc acc epic
λιτί - noun sg fem/mas dat

Nahum 2:11
Where is the dwelling of the lions, and the feeding place of the young lions, where the lion, even the old lion, walked, and the lion's whelp, and none made them afraid?

Mss & Lxx
אריות - λεόντων (noun pl masc gen)
כפרים - σκύμνοις (noun pl fem, mas dat)
אריה לביא - λέων (noun sg masc nom)
גור - σκύμνος (noun sg masc, fem)
אריה - λέοντος (noun sg masc gen)

ארי
A cognate of θηρί, also roots Panther and the Greek can describe any wild animal
and the loss of θ a common characteristic in Hebrew-Greek phonology, e.g. θεός → εός → εόλ → ελ → אֵל ('el).

גור
κόρος "Young" also means 'shaven', in the sense "a lion without a mane"
and arelated too גבר "boy". one who has cut his hair short on emerging from boyhood

Gen 49:9
Judah is a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up?
גור אריה יהודה מטרף בני עלית כרע רבץ כאריה וכלביא מי יקימנו

גור אריה - σκύμνος λέοντος
טרף - βλαστοῦ
כאריה וכלביא - λέων καὶ ὡς σκύμνος

טרף = τροφοῦ.
כרע = χρώζω

The last word in Genesis 49:9 "יקימנו" , only in this verse does it mean 'rouse' and the cognate is θυμώσομαι "make angry, provoke, of animals, to be wild, restive'

Hosea 13:17
Therefore I will be unto them as a lion: as a leopard by the way will I observe them:
ואהי להם כמו־שחל כנמר על־דרך אשור

The word in this verse is מו־שחל and all Bible versions incorrectly read Lion but only the Septuagint is correct
that reads 'πανθὴρ (Panther).

παν → מו
θὴρ → θὴλ → שὴλ → שחל

נמר = λέον πάρδος "Spotted Lion " cf. νεβρός,

Hosea 13:8
I will meet them as a bear that is bereaved of her whelps, and will rend the caul of their heart, and there will I devour them like a lion: the wild beast shall tear them.
אפגשם כדב שכול ואקרע סגור לבם ואכלם שם כלביא חית השדה תבקעם

דב
θωός, θωFός - jackal, hunting dog, dog-like
δάου - dog

שכול
συγκλίτης - "one who lies with one, companion at table, sharing one's couch"
שגל, Σωγαλ, τσακάλι , Jackal

סגור
συγκλείω, ξυγκλήω - with retractable claws, cf. κατακλείς

Nahum 2:10
לבאתי = λέουσιν

The υ in this word accounts for the ב and the ν in λέων that is absent in λίς/ליש.
λέου-σι → λέοβ → לב (lab), the terminal ου also a dative ending.
κόλπος → λπ → לב
κόλπου →κόλποβ → λπβ → לבב

Songs 4:8
Come with me from Lebanon, my spouse, with me from Lebanon look from the top of Amana-Shenir- Hermon (three peaked) from the lions' dens from the mountains of the leopards.

This describes the rivers named after Lions that emerge from the Mountains, the word "מענות" is a pun
of πωγωνίας (Pōgōnias ) "bearded" (πώγων) a pun of πηγῇ "Fountain, running water" or in the
Hebrew,עין from ἀέναος "ever-flowing" and מעון/ναός, ναῶν, κοίτη.

Joshua 13:5
לבוא חמת = κόλπου χειμάς
Labweh Springs, River, one of the sources of the Orontes (Songs 4:8)

מריבה "Meribah" ( Labweh Springs)
*ascribes to the fact that the river flows from the south to the north unlike the rest of the rivers in the region
מריבה - θηρί βῆ, βαίνω

Judges 14:5 - young lion, כפיר אריות

כפיר
- κούρισσα, κουρίζω, κοῦρος "Youth"
- πραύνοος, πραύνω, πράω, πραότεροι to tame wild animals
Isaac Fried

Re: Lion

Post by Isaac Fried »

כפיר is כביר, 'huge'.
לביא has an ל L in it. It is a tall and heavy animal.
ליש is like תיש but with an L in it.
שחל is like שקל: tall and heavy.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Saboi

Post by Saboi »

You can't define words from individual letters, that is a false-teaching by poorly educated people like Jeff Banner, Paleo-Hebrew is a myth
and the oldest form of the language was written in cuneiform in Ugarit.

שקל - σηκόω, σήκωμα, σάκωσε, σάκος "Standard Weight"
תיש - αἴξ "Goat"
כביר - ἧπαρ (cf. ἥπατος, כבד)
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

1. I would agree with you that "Paleo-Hebrew" or "proto-Semitic" is a myth. Hebrew mutated slightly in different places and at different times. Eventually all these formation variants coalesced into the Hebrew of the bible. The different, yet equivalent, verbal forms of, say, פָעָל and פִּעֵל are a living testimony to this. There are those who try to maintain the eternal unity of the language by claiming that piel is ab initio created to represent some sort of a "stronger" action, but I dismiss it as mere apologetics for some ideological and incontrovertible dogmas.
2. Hebrew is a preserved language with an intact root system. A Hebrew word is not a random and haphazard collection of bits of sound. A Hebrew word did not come from nowhere, it has, nay, must have, a certain basic descriptive relationship to the thing named, in terms of some expressed elementary perceptions of reality borne in the mind of ancient man.
3. The fact that Hebrew (also other languages) has words consisting of one single consonant, say
אב, אם, אח, אל, גג, דד, איש, אש, עד, על, ער, אץ, עם
suggest that a letter carries in it a specific suggestion of reality. Take for example the word אֵל, 'god', of the single consonant L. The fact that this ל L appears also in עַל, 'on, upon', and in the verb עָלָה, 'go up, mount', suggests that the concrete, elementary meaning of L is 'up, tall', as factually in אַיִל, 'ram, deer', or metaphorically in אֱיָל, 'strength'.
Am I right or wrong? We look at the extant 2,500 Hebrew roots and see.
Also, what is the "oldest" form of the language I don't know.

Isaac Fried, Boston University