Verbal prefixes

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

Re: Verbal prefixes

Post by Isaac Fried »

Here two new useful words in Hebrew: d
מַהוּת = מה-הוּא-את, 'essence, substance', of which מַהוּת מהוּת-היא
and
זֶהוּת =זה-הוּא-את, 'identity'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Saboi

Post by Saboi »

I am only interested in Biblical Hebrew, that is also the language of the Phoenicians.

ויצעק "Gathered together" (also spelled ויזעק)

This word is σύναγε (Doric) that derives Synagogue, so this tells us that צעק is compounded. σύν + ἀγ = צעק.
- עם, σούν-, σύν-, ξύν-, con-, cum-, com- "With"
- coniugō = צמד עם "yoked with"
- cōnficiō = עם עשה "made with"
- cōnferō = עם ברא "bear with"
- cōnfīdō = עם בטח "trust with"
- commodō = עם מדה "measure with"
- conglobō = עם גלו "ball with"
- collībertus = עם דרור "liberate with"
- conglaciō = עם שלג "ice with'
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Saboi wrote:א-למד → μανθάν-ω "I learn" (fut. μαθησω, aor. ἔμαθον)
ת-למוד → μαθη-τής "Learner, pupil"

אלל → ἀγάλλ-ω "I glorify"
תלה → ἄγαλ-σις "rejoicing""
מלה → ἄγαλ-μα "that which is glorified"

א-וחיל → ἐλπ-ίζ-ω (infix 'י' = denominative verb) cf. אושיע/σώίζω, יושיע/σώσει (σώζω)
תוחלת → ἐλπίς "rejoicing"

א-חנה → ἐλεέ-ω "I Pity"
ת-חנה → ἔλε-ος "pity mercy, compassion"
Saboi wrote:Most of the verbs in Biblical Hebrew can convert to Greek .
No, they can't. Please stop doing this.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Saboi wrote:I am only interested in Biblical Hebrew, that is also the language of the Phoenicians.
Your posts demonstrate that you're interested in Greek and how Hebrew can be converted into Greek.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

You're not wrong there, Jason.

I remembered that I had seen a few posts by Saboi over at another forum (hint: you go there too), and decided to peruse them.

These following quotes will probably explain what he's doing:

All our current scripture are not the originals, they are products translation layers and copyist so my purpose is to somehow reconstruct the original intended text and to prove the possibility that the original composition was in a form of Doric Greek

---------

I am researching the claim made by Areus in 1 Maccabees 12:20-23 "the Spartans and Jews are brothers and are of the family of Abraham" and they are Jewish priests with Spartan names, such as Jason, Meneleus and Alcimus, this latter names appears in the Bible as Eliakim in 2 Kings 18:26 confirmed in Proverbs 30:31 that as אלקום for ἄλκιμος "stout" along with the synonym εὔψυχος and also explains the name change of Eliakim to Jehoiakim as ἄλκιμος to εὔψυχος.

This also seen in the names, such as Abraham named for אבהמון -Ἀγαμέμνων (Gen 17:5) also his change of name Εὕραμα [Αβραμ] > Εὕρεμα [Αβρααμ] representing the change of dialect when they assimilated with the φοίνικος and the memory of coming out slavery is because they where εἱλώτης and there is Zeus in Gen 41:45 as Ζδευς or Ζδί for Δία and Ζῆν as שדין in Job 19:19

They also described as בני־ישראל that stands for Ἀτρείδης and ישראל for Ἀτρεύς > Ἀτρεϝύς > Ἀκρόπους > Jacob and Isaac's tempted sacrifice based on Iphigenia and the Hebrew naming convention is Spartan style with the common prefixes, ἀγά- εὖ- in names such as Αχια Αχιτωβ Αχιναδαβ compare with Ἀχιλῆος or εὐίατρός with Abiather and Αβιναδαβ with εὐδύνατος

So in Lee's mind, the Tanakh was originally a Doric Greek composition, which was then translated and reworked into Hebrew (which apparently are cognitive languages - yeah, I didn't know that either), and then the LXX is a back translation of the Hebrew into Koine Greek, though it was originally in Doric Greek to begin with.

Sheesh...
Ste Walch
Kirk Lowery
Site Admin

Post by Kirk Lowery »

Gents,

Lee has asked that his account be deleted, reacting to being placed on moderation.

So all this is now moot.

Let's get on with discussing the text.
Kirk E. Lowery, PhD
B-Hebrew Site Administrator & Moderator
blog: https://blogs.emdros.org/eh