חֲלוֹם Gen. 37:5-7

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

חֲלוֹם Gen. 37:5-7

Post by Isaac Fried »

We read there
וַיַּחֲלֹם יוֹסֵף חֲלוֹם וַיַּגֵּד לְאֶחָיו וַיּוֹסִפוּ עוֹד שְׂנֹא אֹתוֹ וַיֹּאמֶר אֲלֵיהֶם שִׁמְעוּ נָא הַחֲלוֹם הַזֶּה אֲשֶׁר חָלָמְתִּי וְהִנֵּה אֲנַחְנוּ מְאַלְּמִים אֲלֻמִּים בְּתוֹךְ הַשָּׂדֶה וְהִנֵּה קָמָה אֲלֻמָּתִי וְגַם נִצָּבָה
NIV: "Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers, they hated him all the more. He said to them, “Listen to this dream I had: We were binding sheaves of grain out in the field when suddenly my sheaf rose and stood upright"
The word חֲלוֹם, 'dream' is from the root חלם, a member of the root family
גלם, הלם, חלם, כלם
implying that חלם is as גלם, created or assumed, גִּלֵם, a realistic גּוֹלֶם, a whole image of an apparently substantial body in his head.
This explains the וְתַחֲלִימֵנִי of Isaiah 38:12-16
מִיּוֹם עַד לַיְלָה תַּשְׁלִימֵנִי
וְתַחֲלִימֵנִי וְהַחֲיֵנִי

in which החלים is 'returned to be wholesome', 'returned to full health', 'returned to be of a sound body'.
It is one more example to seemingly unrelated Hebrew words still stemming from the same root.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Isaac Fried

Re: חֲלוֹם Gen. 37:5-7

Post by Isaac Fried »

Also from the same root חלם, the new
חלמון 'yolk', the nourishing yellow blob inside the egg, ensconced within the white חלבון as a dream חלוֹם in the head.

Isaac Fried

Re: חֲלוֹם Gen. 37:5-7

Post by Isaac Fried »

A close variant of חלם is הלם, both a variant of גלם, as in Isaiah 28:1
הוֹי עֲטֶרֶת גֵּאוּת שִׁכֹּרֵי אֶפְרַיִם וְצִיץ נֹבֵל צְבִי תִפְאַרְתּוֹ אֲשֶׁר עַל רֹאשׁ גֵּיא שְׁמָנִים, הֲלוּמֵי יָיִן
KJV: "Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine!"
I would translate הל-הוּא-ם = הֲלוּם as, 'stunned'.