The root גבע, Gen. 44:2

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Isaac Fried

The root גבע, Gen. 44:2

Post by Isaac Fried »

Here is another example, from a recent reading, to different Hebrew words built up from one root.
From the root גבע, a close relative of גבה, 'high, tall', (composed in my opinion of גאה-עבה) we have the name
גִּבְעָה = ג-היא-בע-היא, 'hill', as in 1Kings 14:23
עַל כָּל גִּבְעָה גְבֹהָה
KJV: "on every high hill"
Also גָּבִיעַ = גב-היא-ע, 'cup, goblet, chalice' (related to the קֻבַּעַת = ק-הוּא-בע-את of Isaiah 51:17 and made tall and narrow to hold a good quantity of wine, while warding off by its shape slosh and spill), as in Gen. 44:2
וְאֶת גְּבִיעִי גְּבִיעַ הַכֶּסֶף
NIV: "my cup, the silver one"
Also (מגבעת = מי-גבע-את) מִגְבָּעָה = מי-גבע-היא, 'hat', (related to the כּוֹבַע of 1Sam. 17:5, and the קוֹבַע of 1Sam. 17:38,) as in Ex. 29:9
וְחָבַשְׁתָּ לָהֶם מִגְבָּעֹת
KJV: "and put the bonnets on them"
NIV: "and fasten caps on them"
all sharing one common trait; all being tall and high גבוֹה, as portrayed by their common root גבע, with a semantic differentiation achieved by a different placement and distribution of the referential personal pronouns within each different word.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
Isaac Fried

Re: The root גבע, Gen. 44:2

Post by Isaac Fried »

Closely related to גבע is גוע 'die, perish', namely, turn into an inanimate mound, as in Job 13:19
כִּי עַתָּה אַחֲרִישׁ וְאֶגְוָע
NIV: "I will be silent and die"
KJV: "for now, if I hold my tongue, I shall give up the ghost"

Isaac Fried

Re: The root גבע, Gen. 44:2

Post by Isaac Fried »

Gen. 40:11
וְכוֹס פַּרְעֹה בְּיָדִי וָאֶקַּח אֶת הָעֲנָבִים וָאֶשְׂחַט אֹתָם אֶל כּוֹס פַּרְעֹה וָאֶתֵּן אֶת הַכּוֹס עַל כַּף פַּרְעֹה
NIV: "Pharaoh’s cup was in my hand, and I took the grapes, squeezed them into Pharaoh’s cup and put the cup in his hand"
uses כּוֹס = כ-הוּא-ס for a hand held drinking cup, a word which is but a slight variant of כִּיס = כ-היא-ס, 'pocket, pouch, bag, receptacle', a in Isaiah 46:6
הַזָּלִים זָהָב מִכִּיס וְכֶסֶף בַּקָּנֶה יִשְׁקֹלוּ
KJV: "They lavish gold out of the bag, and weigh silver in the balance"