Question about biliteral roots

For discussions which focus upon specific words, their origin, meaning, relationship to other ANE languages.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Refael Shalev

Question about biliteral roots

Post by Refael Shalev »

It's well known that in hebrew along with other semitic languages the majority of the roots are triliteral.

But if we observe a cluster of roots with related meaning and 2 repeating consonants, doesn't it make sense to consider them as originally biliteral?

E.g: נה"מ- הו"מ-המ"י- המ"מ making noise or sound

סו"כ- יס"כ- נס"כ- מס"כ to cast oil and metaphorically to cast confusion etc.

I would like to know what is your opinion.
Thanks!
Refael Shalev
ducky

Re: Question about biliteral roots

Post by ducky »

the view of the three letters roots in Hebrew started with Rabbi Judah ben David Hayyuj and Jonah ibn Janah.

Before that, there was another view that the root can be 2 letters and even one letter
(I agree with that view more).

the examples you bring are a little bit different.
You show that there are dominant two letters as the source of the three letter root.
as the previous basics was just S-K, and then through time, it was expanded to MSK, YSK, NSK and so on...

You still see here three letters roots
only that you say that all of them are based on same two dominant letter - and basically came from the same basic meaning (that was also "spread" in time)
David Hunter
Refael Shalev

Post by Refael Shalev »

I think that this observation can explain the word נפילים for example. Not giants who fell from the sky but tall men with the base פל like in עופל and the opposite נפל-שפל-אפל to fall, to be low physically or morally, to be dark (in arabic sun or moon set).
Refael Shalev
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

I too think that there are many verbs that are properly biliteral roots, but I haven’t made a study of it. Among those I would include many, but not all, of those that are ayen-doubled, many but not all of those that are listed as having a medial ו or י and a few others. The majority of roots are triliteral, with a few quadraliteral roots.

That’s my seat-of-my-pants 2¢.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

But you have created a lexicon. Should you not have made a study of things related to roots?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Refael Shalev

Post by Refael Shalev »

Hi Karl,

Some of the quadraliteral roots pointing over the biliteral root: קרקר, חלחל...
Refael Shalev
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Refael Shalev writes
I think that this observation can explain the word נפילים for example. Not giants who fell from the sky but tall men with the base פל like in עופל and the opposite נפל-שפל-אפל to fall, to be low physically or morally, to be dark (in arabic sun or moon set).
As I see it נפל is not "be low" but rather be high - on the ground. The Hebrew root, or act, does not represent an ongoing process, say that of an apple coming down from a tree, but only its end result: the apple resting on the ground. אפלה is not the darkness falling over the earth, but rather the darkness rising and enveloping the earth.
Another example would be שכב which is not 'lie down', but rather שגב, rise, upon (up-on) the bed.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
www.hebrewetymology.com
Refael Shalev

Post by Refael Shalev »

Hi Isaac,

Or that the roots have two opposite meanings like in שרש.
Refael Shalev
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

Refael writes
Or that the roots have two opposite meanings like in שרש
Yes, you are right, close Hebrew roots or acts may harbor opposite meanings in the sense that "deep" is "high" in reverse. Think of such Hebrew words as שלוּלית, 'puddle' and תלולית, 'mound'. What one שוֹלֵל, 'negates', on one side one תוֹלֵל, 'piles up', on the other side. Think about תְּעָלָה, 'ditch', and תוֹעֶלֶת, 'benefit'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
www.hebrewetymology.com