Ezekiel 3:13

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

Ezekiel 3:13

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

Ezekiel 3:12 says ק֖וֹל רַ֣עַשׁ גָּד֑וֹל
Would you translate this as "a sound of a great rushing (shaking)" or "a great sound of rushing (shaking)" or "a great rushing (shaking) sound"? Or "a sound of a rushing (a shaking) is great"? (I am willing to ignore the pointing, if it is ok).

Ezekiel 3:12 וַתִּשָּׂאֵ֣נִי ר֔וּחַ וָאֶשְׁמַ֣ע אַחֲרַ֔י ק֖וֹל רַ֣עַשׁ גָּד֑וֹל בָּר֥וּךְ כְּבוֹד־יְהוָ֖ה מִמְּקוֹמֽוֹ׃
Kenneth Greifer
Jason Hare

Re: Ezekiel 3:13

Post by Jason Hare »

We take רַ֫עַשׁ to be "noise" or "sound" in modern Hebrew. Isn't that the meaning? "The sound of a great noise"?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

1 Ki. 19:11
וַיֹּ֗אמֶר צֵ֣א וְעָמַדְתָּ֣ בָהָר֘ לִפְנֵ֣י יְהוָה֒ וְהִנֵּ֧ה יְהוָ֣ה עֹבֵ֗ר וְר֣וּחַ גְּדוֹלָ֡ה וְחָזָ֞ק מְפָרֵקָ הָרִ֙ים וּמְשַׁבֵּ֤ר סְלָעִים֙ לִפְנֵ֣י יְהוָ֔ה לֹ֥א בָר֖וּחַ יְהוָ֑ה וְאַחַ֤ר הָר֙וּחַ רַ֔עַשׁ לֹ֥א בָרַ֖עַשׁ יְהוָֽה׃

Ezek. 3:12
וַתִּשָּׂאֵ֣נִי ר֔וּחַ וָאֶשְׁמַ֣ע אַחֲרַ֔י ק֖וֹל רַ֣עַשׁ גָּד֑וֹל בָּר֥וּךְ כְּבוֹד־יְהוָ֖ה מִמְּקוֹמֽוֹ׃

Ezek. 3:13
וְק֣וֹל׀ כַּנְפֵ֣י הַחַיּ֗וֹת מַשִּׁיקוֹת֙ אִשָּׁ֣ה אֶל־אֲחוֹתָ֔הּ וְק֥וֹל הָאוֹפַנִּ֖ים לְעֻמָּתָ֑ם וְק֖וֹל רַ֥עַשׁ גָּדֽוֹל׃

Ezek. 37:7
וְנִבֵּ֖אתִי כַּאֲשֶׁ֣ר צֻוֵּ֑יתִי וַֽיְהִי־ק֤וֹל כְּהִנָּֽבְאִי֙ וְהִנֵּה־רַ֔עַשׁ וַתִּקְרְב֣וּ עֲצָמ֔וֹת עֶ֖צֶם אֶל־עַצְמֽוֹ׃

Ezek. 38:19
וּבְקִנְאָתִ֥י בְאֵשׁ־עֶבְרָתִ֖י דִּבַּ֑רְתִּי אִם־לֹ֣א׀ בַּיּ֣וֹם הַה֗וּא יִֽהְיֶה֙ רַ֣עַשׁ גָּד֔וֹל עַ֖ל אַדְמַ֥ת יִשְׂרָאֵֽל׃

Nah. 3:2
ק֣וֹל שׁ֔וֹט וְק֖וֹל רַ֣עַשׁ אוֹפָ֑ן וְס֣וּס דֹּהֵ֔ר וּמֶרְכָּבָ֖ה מְרַקֵּדָֽה׃

It apparently means a "commotion." קול רעש "the sound of a commotion," which amounts to a great noise.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kenneth Greifer

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

I found this site that explains adjectives used with construct chains in a very easy way.
http://hebrew.billmounce.com/BasicsBibl ... rew-10.pdf
Kenneth Greifer
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Kenneth Greifer wrote:I found this site that explains adjectives used with construct chains in a very easy way.
http://hebrew.billmounce.com/BasicsBibl ... rew-10.pdf
I know it's silly, but the first thing that pops to mind when I think of adjectives used with constructs is a line from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone translated into Hebrew (הָ֫ארִי פּ֫וֹטֵר וְאֶ֫בֶן הַחֲכָמִים). It has to do with the description of Vernon Dursley, Harry's uncle who raised him after the death of his parents.

p. 9 (nikkud not in the original):
מַר דַּרְסְלִי... הָיָה אִישׁ גְּדָל־מְמַדִּים, בַּשְׂרָנִי, וְכִמְעַט נְטוּל צַוָּאר – לַמְרוֹת שֶׁדַּ֫וְקָא הָיָה לוֹ שָׂפָם שָׁמֵן לְמַדַּי.
Mr. Dursley... was a man large-of-dimensions, fleshly, and nearly neckless – despite that he actually had a rather fat mustache.

The word גְּדָל־ here is actually גָּדֹל in construct. That is, "large of dimensions."

There's nothing disallowing an adjective from appearing in a construct phrase.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳