2 Kings 4:7

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

2 Kings 4:7

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

2 Kings 4:7וַתָּבֹא וַתַּגֵּד לְאִישׁ הָאֱלֹהִים וַיֹּאמֶר לְכִי מִכְרִי אֶת־הַשֶּׁמֶן וְשַׁלְּמִי אֶת־נשיכי נִשְׁיֵךְ וְאַתְּ בניכי וּבָנַיִךְ תִחְיִי בַּנּוֹתָר׃ פ

Then she came and told the man of God. And he said: 'Go, sell the oil, and pay thy debt, and live thou and thy sons of the rest.'

Are there any other words that are like "your sons (your children)" in this quote. I mean with the same ending for "your" 'כ''?
Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer

Re: 2 Kings 4:7

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:51 am 2 Kings 4:7וַתָּבֹא וַתַּגֵּד לְאִישׁ הָאֱלֹהִים וַיֹּאמֶר לְכִי מִכְרִי אֶת־הַשֶּׁמֶן וְשַׁלְּמִי אֶת־נשיכי נִשְׁיֵךְ וְאַתְּ בניכי וּבָנַיִךְ תִחְיִי בַּנּוֹתָר׃ פ

Then she came and told the man of God. And he said: 'Go, sell the oil, and pay thy debt, and live thou and thy sons of the rest.'

Are there any other words that are like "your sons (your children)" in this quote. I mean with the same ending for "your" 'כ''?
I understand the word נשיכי also has it, but I mean in other quotes in the Hebrew Bible.
Kenneth Greifer
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

Hi Kenneth,
Just looking in 1Sam - 2Kings & Isa, the only other occurrences are in 2Kings, right near your verse:
4:2 לְכִי
4:3 your neighbors
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
http://www.voiceInWilderness.info
Honesty is the best policy. - George Washington (1732-99)
ducky

Post by ducky »

Just a quick search found:
עונכי
תחלואיכי
חייכי
נעוריכי
למנוחיכי
עליכי
בתוככי
אזכרכי
רעתכי
David Hunter
Kenneth Greifer

ducky wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:08 pm Just a quick search found:
עונכי
תחלואיכי
חייכי
נעוריכי
למנוחיכי
עליכי
בתוככי
אזכרכי
רעתכי
First of all, I would like to thank both of you, Steve and David. Secondly, I would like to say to David. Thank you for looking words up, but I need to see quote numbers and/or English translations, so I can understand better.
Kenneth Greifer
ducky

Post by ducky »

Sorry, I thought you just put it in a website concordance or in a software, and you'll see it right away.

I'll do that later.
For now, if it is helpful, I can just say that all of the words are from Psalms, except for the last word which is from Jer.
David Hunter
Kenneth Greifer

ducky wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:24 pm Sorry, I thought you just put it in a website concordance or in a software, and you'll see it right away.

I'll do that later.
For now, if it is helpful, I can just say that all of the words are from Psalms, except for the last word which is from Jer.
I will try that now. I found some in Psalm 103:3 and 103:4. That's good enough for me to see that it is used in other quotes besides 2 Kings 4:3 and 4:7.
Kenneth Greifer
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

ducky wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:08 pm Just a quick search found:
עונכי
תחלואיכי
חייכי
נעוריכי
למנוחיכי
עליכי
בתוככי
אזכרכי
רעתכי
David, how were you able to do the search? I looked for כי* in BibleWorks, but it returns a lot of other words which weren't a 2ms suffix, so I limited my search to a few books.
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
SteveMiller

Post by SteveMiller »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:26 pm I will try that now. I found some in Psalm 103:3 and 103:4. That's good enough for me to see that it is used in other quotes besides 2 Kings 4:3 and 4:7.
Doesn't 2Ki 4:2 also meet your criteria? ‎ לְכִי would normally be ‎ לָ֖ךְ
Sincerely yours,
Steve Miller
Detroit
ducky

Post by ducky »

Yes.
I didn't write it because you already did.
David Hunter