Genesis 2:9 the tree of knowledge

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

Genesis 2:9 the tree of knowledge

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

Genesis 2:9 בראשית
2:9וַיַּצְמַ֞ח יְהוָ֤ה אֱלֹהִים֙ מִן־הָ֣אֲדָמָ֔ה כָּל־עֵ֛ץ נֶחְמָ֥ד לְמַרְאֶ֖ה וְט֣וֹב לְמַאֲכָ֑ל וְעֵ֤ץ הַֽחַיִּים֙ בְּת֣וֹךְ הַגָּ֔ן וְעֵ֕ץ הַדַּ֖עַת ט֥וֹב וָרָֽע׃

Does Genesis 2:9 says "the tree of knowledge of good and evil" or "the tree of knowledge, good and evil"? It seems like the word "the" is before "knowledge", but shouldn't it be in front of good and evil?
Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer

Re: Genesis 2:9 the tree of knowledge

Maybe Genesis 2:9 says "but" the tree of knowledge is good and evil, referring to the tree. Maybe Genesis 2:16-17 says "but" from the tree of knowledge is good and evil.

2:9וַיַּצְמַ֞ח יְהוָ֤ה אֱלֹהִים֙ מִן־הָ֣אֲדָמָ֔ה כָּל־עֵ֛ץ נֶחְמָ֥ד לְמַרְאֶ֖ה וְט֣וֹב לְמַאֲכָ֑ל וְעֵ֤ץ הַֽחַיִּים֙ בְּת֣וֹךְ הַגָּ֔ן וְעֵ֕ץ הַדַּ֖עַת ט֥וֹב וָרָֽע׃

Genesis 2:16 - 17 בראשית
2:16וַיְצַו֙ יְהוָ֣ה אֱלֹהִ֔ים עַל־הָֽאָדָ֖ם לֵאמֹ֑ר מִכֹּ֥ל עֵֽץ־הַגָּ֖ן אָכֹ֥ל תֹּאכֵֽל׃ 2:17וּמֵעֵ֗ץ הַדַּ֙עַת֙ ט֣וֹב וָרָ֔ע לֹ֥א תֹאכַ֖ל מִמֶּ֑נּוּ כִּ֗י בְּי֛וֹם אֲכָלְךָ֥ מִמֶּ֖נּוּ מ֥וֹת תָּמֽוּת׃
Kenneth Greifer
Kenneth Greifer

Genesis 2:9 could say "but (and) the tree of life ...and the tree of knowledge are good and bad."
Kenneth Greifer
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:23 am Genesis 2:9 בראשית

Does Genesis 2:9 says "the tree of knowledge of good and evil" or "the tree of knowledge, good and evil"? It seems like the word "the" is before "knowledge", but shouldn't it be in front of good and evil?
No.

To start out, דעת is an irregular derivative from an irregular verb. Secondly, it’s not a regular noun in construct with the following, rather here it has the force of the infinitive with טוב ורע being the objects of the action.

Karl W. Randolph.
Kenneth Greifer

Karl,
I guess you are saying it says "the tree of knowing good and evil." I thought it would be read as "the tree of the knowing good and evil", so I thought it didn't sound right that way. It is confusing in a way. I am not sure if you are right, although what you are saying makes sense. I would have to see other quotes like that I guess.
Kenneth Greifer
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I think I'd go that way, too... "the tree of the knowing good and evil," taking "good and evil" as an accusative (direct object) of the infinitive "knowing."
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Isaac Fried

Post by Isaac Fried »

What it says is: and the tree of knowing (upon eating its fruit) what is right and what is wrong.

Isaac Fried, Boston University
www.hebrewetymology.com