The word רעה

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Re: The word רעה

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:20 am There is a word “‎רשע to be guilty from doing unjust actions ⇒ to be wicked”
Do you take adjectives to be the same as stative verbs? By saying "to be," you've made it a verb. Was this intentional?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:41 am If you look at this dictionary link for רעה,
https://biblehub.com/hebrew/7463a.htm
there is a word that means "wickedness", but there are no actual quotes with the word. Did this word exist as "wickedness"?
Do you have access to the Brown-Driver-Briggs (BDB) lexicon, Gesenius's lexicon, or what is called HALOT (Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament)? BDB is a cheap option, though it is kinda difficult to learn to use. HALOT is the best lexicon right now (as far as I'm concerned). You will get real definitions with discussions about the words origins in HALOT, not just simple glosses like you get from these free online search engines.

Gesenius is available on blueletterbible.org. In this case, you can see the noun רֶ֫שַׁע "wickedness" here, the verbal root רשׁע "to be wicked (qal), do wickedly (hiphil)" here, and the adjective רָשָׁע "wicked" here. They represent three different "Strong numbers" (yuck): noun H7562, verb H7561, and adjective H7563.

HALOT on Logos: https://www.logos.com/product/5226/hebr ... ment-halot
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

I edited my last comment because I saw that there are two 7463.
1. 7463 - and that is about companionship, and it is read: re-'e = רֵעֶה (Like in 2Sam 15:37).
2. 7463a - and that is the word that means wickedness/Evil (and so on).

3. Number 7451 is the word רַע = ra' (and it is an adjective (like "bad"))

The two numbers 7451 and 7463a have the same base.

Actually, the 7463a is the feminine form of 7451.

so if a man is bad = רע = ra' (like 7451)
a woman is bad = רעה = ra-'a (also like 7451 - its feminine form).

But the word רעה (the feminine form) also has a use of a noun.
(sometimes adjectives act like nouns, as if the noun is already known and the adjective carries its meaning with it).
So feminine form רעה also acts as a noun for that abstract meaning.
For example, in Jer. 18:11 there are two רעה.
1. הִנֵּה אָנֹכִי יוֹצֵר עֲלֵיכֶם רָעָה = Behold, I frame evil against you.
2. שׁוּבוּ נָא אִישׁ מִדַּרְכּוֹ הָרָעָה = return ye now every one from his evil way.

The first "evil" has another role from the second "evil" (which is an adjective).

As for the quotes.
I have to say what I said before.
The site brings the definitions according to the NASB Translation.
And it seems that this NASB Translation writes "wickedness" for רעה thirty-nine times.
(and I guess that other translations would have another way).
But if you care about this specific translation, then you need to find its concordance, or to simply compare the Hebrew cases of רעה to the verses of this translation and check one by one.
David Hunter
Chris Watts

Post by Chris Watts »

Hi David,

<<<<<<<But if you care about this specific translation, then you need to find its concordance, or to simply compare the Hebrew cases of רעה to the verses of this translation and check one by one.>>>>>>

There is no better concordance than Even-Shoshan for this purpose. Strongs is only useful with the KJV, which I use, to fnd out how many times the 'English' word has been used. I use strongs just to discover how many different hebrew words are being translated by one English word. But using the Hebrew concordance will tell you not only how many times the Hebrew word is used but also categorizes into the various binyamin and keeps the various suffixes and prefixes very well organised and easy to follow according to Qal, Niphal Piel etc.

No idea if you know all this already.

Chris watts
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Chris Watts wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:14 am Hi David,

<<<<<<<But if you care about this specific translation, then you need to find its concordance, or to simply compare the Hebrew cases of רעה to the verses of this translation and check one by one.>>>>>>

There is no better concordance than Even-Shoshan for this purpose. Strongs is only useful with the KJV, which I use, to fnd out how many times the 'English' word has been used. I use strongs just to discover how many different hebrew words are being translated by one English word. But using the Hebrew concordance will tell you not only how many times the Hebrew word is used but also categorizes into the various binyamin and keeps the various suffixes and prefixes very well organised and easy to follow according to Qal, Niphal Piel etc.

No idea if you know all this already.

Chris watts
Even-Shoshan is basically the only print concordance used in Israel. David is an Israeli by birth. He's also a Bible scholar, so he certainly knows about the benefits and drawbacks of Even-Shoshan's dictionary and his concordance.

Logos is great for all of these things. I have BHS and BHQ (what's available) on Logos, and Lexham also has a nice Hebrew Bible with good morphological tags.

I cannot stress enough the importance of getting your hands on good resources. It will make these kinds of queries so much easier.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:43 pm
kwrandolph wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:20 am There is a word “‎רשע to be guilty from doing unjust actions ⇒ to be wicked”
Do you take adjectives to be the same as stative verbs? By saying "to be," you've made it a verb. Was this intentional?
No it was not intentional.

Not all nouns and adjectives in Biblical Hebrew are derived from verbs. But this is one case where the adjective is derived from the verb, even has the same spelling, and you caught me being lazy listing only the verbal root.

Karl W. Randolph.