Isaiah 56:10 construct question

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Kenneth Greifer

Re: Isaiah 56:10 construct question

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

The recent discussions here have made me realize that I need to look up information better on my own. If I can't understand or figure out something about Biblical Hebrew, then that is too bad for me, but this is not the place for me to ask questions, obviously. I think I am done here.
Kenneth Greifer
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Kenneth Greifer wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:20 pm I think I am done here.
I don't think that's anyone's goal or hope.

Personally, I'm glad that you and Chris have recently joined and given a bit of an injection of newness of perspective to the forum. I'm a bit frustrated that you don't want to treat Hebrew like a language, but rather as a kind of code or something, but I'm not against you asking questions. The only thing that I would prefer is that, when presented with answers that take the language into account, you not be dismissive and think that you know better than those who actually do know the language and have access to better resources. In other words, a bit of humility goes a long way when you're dabbling in a field in which you have no expertise.

I dabble in lots of things, so I speak to myself, too. That's the only thing that I would expect of someone who doesn't know the language.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Kenneth Greifer

Post by Kenneth Greifer »

I changed my mind about what I answered at first. If that is what you think, fine. I should listen to criticism better.
Kenneth Greifer
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Kirk Lowery wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:08 pm Karl,

Kenneth is right. We don't have the right to publicly attack other's motives, not on this forum. Perhaps you don't remember the "flame wars" we used to have on B-Hebrew during the 1990s. Our rules today are a result of that nastiness. If you don't like Kenneth's posts, don't respond. It's not up to us to correct one another's beliefs. The back and forth of logical argument is normal, but we must watch our rhetoric. The goal is not to "win" the argument.

Let's play nice.

Kirk
Kirk:

I was not part of the flame wars in the 1990s.

I didn’t consciously attack Kenneth’s motives. I was just strongly disappointed that he was not clear on his motives, which caused not only I but others on this list to respond in a way inappropriate to his question. As for his motives, he can have whatever motives he wants, I don’t care. Now that I know what are his motives, I will respond to him differently, if at all.

As for changing his beliefs? There was no conscious effort on my part to do that.

Karl W. Randolph.