Verb Paradigms For Doubly Weak Verbs

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Moses Gummadi

Re: Verb Paradigms For Doubly Weak Verbs

Post by Moses Gummadi »

Jason Hare wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:46 pm The Academy of the Hebrew Language gives the attached as the qal of the root הוי.
Thanks Jason for the replies. I can’t see the attachment, only this - “ You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.”
Moses Gummadi
יִרְאֵי יְהוָה בִּטְחוּ בַיהוָה
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Moses Gummadi wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:38 am
Jason Hare wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:46 pm The Academy of the Hebrew Language gives the attached as the qal of the root הוי.
Thanks Jason for the replies. I can’t see the attachment, only this - “ You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.”
Strange. I’ll check forum settings when I get back this evening.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

Jason Hare wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:29 pm I’d be interested in a more comprehensive treatment of the theoretical forms and where we get them from.
The problem with Gesenius and others is that the treatment is sparse and piecemeal.[/serif]
In Hebrew, there is the grammar book of Blau (which is a detailed one)
And there is another grammar book by Morag (which is "straight and to the point")
But I'm sure that this is found in any grammar book.

Anyway, this is not really a big subject. It can be summarized in a few words and a few examples.
Maybe tomorrow I'll write it here.
David Hunter
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hi,
Here are a few words...

The Imperfect Qal (and also its perfect) has three forms.

1. yaqtul --> yiqtol (like ישמר=yishmor)
2. yiqtal (like ילבש=yilbash)
3. yiqtil -->yiqtel (like יתן=yitten)
The yiqtil is rare, and it is mostly seen in roots that their first letter is weak (like ילך or ישב).

But also other verbs should be wondered about...
like the verb יַאֲמֵץ appears in Psalms 27:14 and 31:25
it looks as Hiphil... But there is no Hiphil for that root
(there is האמצת or מאמיצים or anything like that.
so it seems that this יאמץ belongs to qal.

Another thing...
it affects the form of the verb.
for example, ישמר is from yiqtol, therefore יִשְׁמְרֵהוּ has Sheva on the second root letter (M) (Ps. 41:3).
but ישכח is from yiqtal, and so... יִשְׁכָּחֵהוּ has Qamats on the second root letter (K) (Job 24:20).

Basically, the Yiqtol is about action
and the yiqtal and yiqtil is about stative.
through time, there were a lot of analogies and "takeovers" of one form over the others. So sometimes the forms are mixed.
David Hunter
Moses Gummadi

Post by Moses Gummadi »

Thanks Jason, I got the AHL image you posted.
Jason Hare wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:36 pm The idea of יָ֫הוּ as a jussive of הָוָה does have its appeal.
Could יְהוֹ be another possibility? If we could interpret theophoric names with יְהוֹ prefix with the Jussive meaning, then יְהוֹנָתָן could mean, "May He be (the) Giver". I am considering the possibility of both יְהוֹ and יָהוּ as a Jussive wish / request, "May He Be", which could be the same as calling upon the Name of YHVH.

Pardon my wild speculation here, but if a 3fs pronominal suffix is added to the Jussive, I guess we get the Tetragram, which then could mean, "May He Be Her"!!! It might sound ridiculous, but I think there's a solution for such a meaning in Tanach. וְזֶה אֲשֶׁר־יִקְרָא־לָהּ יְהוָה צִדְקֵֽנוּ׃ (Jeremiah 33:16), where Jerusalem is called by His Name. Also in Ezekiel 48:35 וְשֵׁם־הָעִיר מִיּוֹם יְהוָה שָֽׁמָּה׃. Compare the masuline counterpart in Jeremiah 23:6. In Isaiah 54:5 YHVH is called as the husband of Zion (all metaphorical of course).

Also, what if יָהוּ could have it's 3fs Jussive counterpart as תְּהוּ or תֹּהוּ (Genesis 1:2)? People have a link between speculated Tehom and Tiamat. Could Tohu and Tehom be related too?
Moses Gummadi
יִרְאֵי יְהוָה בִּטְחוּ בַיהוָה
ducky

Post by ducky »

ducky wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:04 pm 1. yaqtul --> yiqtol (like ישמר=yishmor)
2. yiqtal (like ילבש=yilbash)
3. yiqtil -->yiqtel (like יתן=yitten)
I need to correct myself.
I wrote the 3third one as "yiqtil" - but old form is "yaqtil".

****************************************************************************************

Moses,

Your first name יהונתן is not a good name to use, because if you want to use the Y-H-U- of the name in the meaning of "may he be", the second part won't be a perfect verb (like נתן). Instead, you should use a name with a noun or an adjective, like יהורם for example (in which the רם is High).
But anyway, Y-H-U does not come in this meaning, since, first, the Hebrew doesn't use that root, second, the pronunciation is not the same, and third, the usage of this name-form with a perfect verb (like יהונתן) shows that the meaning is just as you were taught before.

As for using it as a 3fs pronominal... Nice idea, but once again, it is not a form that Hebrew uses. Also, the common form is יהיה. And you can see by it that it doesn't get a 3fs pronominal stuck to it.
(basically, it is the direct object who is stuck to the verb as a letter, but not an object which uses "to")
David Hunter