Verb Paradigms For Doubly Weak Verbs

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Moses Gummadi

Verb Paradigms For Doubly Weak Verbs

Post by Moses Gummadi »

I am looking for a full verb paradigm table for doubly weak verbs, especially for the roots היה and הוה. Can some one share it here (if available) or point me to the right resource? Thank you.
Moses Gummadi
יִרְאֵי יְהוָה בִּטְחוּ בַיהוָה
Jason Hare

Re: Verb Paradigms For Doubly Weak Verbs

Post by Jason Hare »

הוה will not have a paradigm, since it is not a verb in Hebrew. It is considered to be a primary root, and it is expressed in Aramaic. As far as היה is concerned, you can find complete paradigms for this and other verbs as used in modern Hebrew on the website for the Hebrew Language Academy (here). Notice that third-heh roots are actually third-yod, so you need to search there for היי rather than היה. You would also be able to type most verbs in the 3ms form into the search bar of en.wiktionary.com and get their Hebrew conjugations.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Moses Gummadi

Post by Moses Gummadi »

Thanks Jason. I have used something similar https://www.pealim.com/constructor/ in the past, but I notice modern Hebrew conjugations differ sometimes from the Biblical ones. Also it did not give the Hiphil stem for היי.
הוה will not have a paradigm, since it is not a verb in Hebrew.
I am surprised you say הוה is not a Hebrew root. Is this a new development in scholarship? In Ecclesiastes 11:3, we find the word יְהוּא which apparently is 3ms Qal-Yiqtol of the root הוה, according to the morphology provided in Logos software as well as the Blueletter Bible.

What is your view on the conjugation behind the Divine Name? What is it's root? It is 3ms Qal-Yiqtol of הוי or 3ms Hiphil-Yiqtol, or something else altogether?
Moses Gummadi
Moses Gummadi

Post by Moses Gummadi »

Also, I wonder what might be the Qal participle ms of היה? I found one in Qal participle 1fs, הֹויָה. The phrase יַד־יְהוָה הֹויָה in Exodus 9:3 is interesting.
Moses Gummadi
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Moses Gummadi wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:13 am
הוה will not have a paradigm, since it is not a verb in Hebrew.
I am surprised you say הוה is not a Hebrew root. Is this a new development in scholarship? In Ecclesiastes 11:3, we find the word יְהוּא which apparently is 3ms Qal-Yiqtol of the root הוה, according to the morphology provided in Logos software as well as the Blueletter Bible.

I list the following:
הוה to put in one’s place, set up Gn 27:24, Is 16:4, Ne 6:6, Ko 2:22
and
הוא to cover, lie (upon) Job 37:6, Ko 11:3
Moses Gummadi wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:13 am What is your view on the conjugation behind the Divine Name? What is it's root? It is 3ms Qal-Yiqtol of הוי or 3ms Hiphil-Yiqtol, or something else altogether?
Names don’t necessarily follow grammar rules, therefore I don’t take apart this name.

Karl W. Randolph.
Moses Gummadi

Post by Moses Gummadi »

kwrandolph wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:40 am Names don’t necessarily follow grammar rules, therefore I don’t take apart this name.

Karl W. Randolph.
Thanks Karl. Yes I agree with you. The names אברהם and ישראל can be interpreted in different ways, and I think culturally this was the case in the East. People used word play (as they still do) to derive a convenient meaning for the context. And they don't always follow the grammar. So I tend to think the LORD's Name too has multiple shades of meaning, and perhaps all of them could be valid.

1. He causes to be (יַהְוֶה‎) - 3ms Hifil Yiqtol
2. He Is and/or He Will Be (יִהְוֶה) - 3ms Qal Yiqtol

Given the evidence for יהו in Elephantine Payrii, Greek Ἰαω in LXX 4Q120, also in Mt.Ebal amulet, plus the Theophoric names wth יהו prefix, I believe יהו needs significant consideration. I have a couple of (crazy) ideas, and they do match with Jewish mystical thought (eg. Kabbalah, Chasidut).

3. Could יְהוֹ or יָהוּ be 3ms Jussive of the root הוה ? And if the 4th letter ה is added as a 3fs pronominal suffix, I wonder what the vocalisation would be. The resulting meaning can easily agree with Kabbalistic thinking, and possibly with Christian mysticism.

4. The letters themselves could be interpreted as 1ms, 3fs, 3ms and 3fs pronominal suffixes respectively. Thus יהו could be derived from יה and a 3ms pronominal suffix. And יהוה as יהו plus 3fs pronominal suffix. This perfectly matches with the Father-Mother-Son-Bride structure of the Kabbalists.

Appreciate your comments, esp on 3 and 4.
Moses Gummadi
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Moses Gummadi wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:16 am 3. Could יְהוֹ or יָהוּ be 3ms Jussive of the root הוה ? And if the 4th letter ה is added as a 3fs pronominal suffix, I wonder what the vocalisation would be. The resulting meaning can easily agree with Kabbalistic thinking, and possibly with Christian mysticism.

4. The letters themselves could be interpreted as 1ms, 3fs, 3ms and 3fs pronominal suffixes respectively. Thus יהו could be derived from יה and a 3ms pronominal suffix. And יהוה as יהו plus 3fs pronominal suffix. This perfectly matches with the Father-Mother-Son-Bride structure of the Kabbalists.

Appreciate your comments, esp on 3 and 4.
Dear Moses:

You ask me to comment on what I perceive as theological questions. Since I am involved with neither Christian mysticism nor Kaballah, I am not the person to comment on these subjects.

As for the root and meaning of יהוה, there has been so much speculation from so many angles that I don’t see how I can add anything to the discussion that has not already been speculated on and written about.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.
Moses Gummadi

Post by Moses Gummadi »

Dear Karl, it will be helpful if you could please give your view on the 3ms Jussive of the root הוה. I think it is יהו but someone informed me (citing a reference that I don’t have access to) that it’s והי (wehi). Also, could תהו be a 3fs Jussive form of הוה ? Thank you. Moses.
Moses Gummadi
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Moses Gummadi wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:13 am I am surprised you say הוה is not a Hebrew root.
Notice that I didn’t say that it isn’t a root. I said that it isn’t a verb, hence its not having a paradigm. I specifically stated that it is a primitive root. The הוה root appears in Hebrew at places with the meaning of “be,” but much more frequently in later Hebrew (especially, rabbinic Hebrew).
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Moses Gummadi

Post by Moses Gummadi »

Jason Hare wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:50 pm Notice that I didn’t say that it isn’t a root. I said that it isn’t a verb, hence its not having a paradigm. I specifically stated that it is a primitive root. The הוה root appears in Hebrew at places with the meaning of “be,” but much more frequently in later Hebrew (especially, rabbinic Hebrew).
Thanks Jason. How would you inflect הוה in 3ms Jussive using known rules assuming it's a Hebrew verb? Would it be יהו, or והי (wehi) as someone suggested to me. Thank you.
Moses Gummadi