Daniel 12:11

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Ali Nasser

Daniel 12:11

Post by Ali Nasser »

Hey everybody! I'm new to this forum. I have a small question concerning the way this passage is supposed to be translated. Do the 1290 days happen in between the setting up of the abomination and removal of the sacrifice, or does the text say that these two events happen simultaneously and the 1290 days occur afterwards?
Jason Hare

Re: Daniel 12:11

Post by Jason Hare »

Ali Nasser wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:46 pm Hey everybody! I'm new to this forum. I have a small question concerning the way this passage is supposed to be translated. Do the 1290 days happen in between the setting up of the abomination and removal of the sacrifice, or does the text say that these two events happen simultaneously and the 1290 days occur afterwards?
Daniel 12:11 (BHS)
וּמֵעֵת֙ הוּסַ֣ר הַתָּמִ֔יד וְלָתֵ֖ת שִׁקּ֣וּץ שֹׁמֵ֑ם יָמִ֕ים אֶ֖לֶף מָאתַ֥יִם וְתִשְׁעִֽים׃

This isn’t really discernable from the text itself. It’s ambiguous. My assumption would be that this specific verse would indicate the time to come between these two events. From other verses, I would think that they were simultaneous and refer to the same thing (that the daily sacrifice is stopped and the abomination of desolation set up at the same time). This verse could be read either way, though.

To be explicit, the author could have used וְעַד תֵּת שִׁקּוּץ שֹׁמֵם instead.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳