Adjective Vocalization

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
jordan17182

Adjective Vocalization

Post by jordan17182 »

How are BH adjectives vocalized, my recollection is that vocalization pattern gives little to no indication of a words status as an adjective (except that for what it isn't), unlike with participle (verbal adjective) formation.

Jordan Furutani
Jordan Furutani
Jason Hare

Re: Adjective Vocalization

Post by Jason Hare »

jordan17182 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:20 pm How are BH adjectives vocalized, my recollection is that vocalization pattern gives little to no indication of a words status as an adjective (except that for what it isn't), unlike with participle (verbal adjective) formation.

Jordan Furutani
Shalom, Jordan. Long time, no see!

It really depends. Ultimately, adjectives are a subclass of nouns in Semitic languages. So, the patterns are generally the same as noun patterns in many ways. We tend to see i-class vowels in the second syllable (שָׁקֵט “quiet,” שָׁמֵן “fat,” יָחֵף “bare-footed,” יָשֵׁן “asleep,” אָכִיל “edible,” שָׁבִיר “fragile”). Of course, we have some u-class adjectives (גָּדוֹל “large,” קָדוֹשׁ “holy,” אָדוֹם “red,” קָטֹן “small”). The patterns diverge from there.

In the plural, colors tend to close the second syllable with a u (אֲדֻמִּים “red,” כְּחֻלִּים “blue”), and קָטֹן closes it with an a (קְטַנִּים “small,” like the noun גְּמַלִּים “camels”). Those that have i-class vowels tend to keep the same vowel in the plural (שְׁקֵטִים “quiet,” עֲיֵפִים “tired,” גְּדֵלִים “growing” — often used in lieu of participle forms [which is why modern speakers often incorrectly say גֹּדְלִים and יֹשְׁנִים instead of גְּדֵלִים and יְשֵׁנִים]).

The i-class adjective brings to mind the noun פָּתִיל “thread,” that actually comes from an adjective “tied on.” This brought to mind the interesting noun pattern with a reduced first syllable (שְׁבִיל “path,” כְּפִיר “young lion,” כְּבִישׁ “highway”).

I’m not sure if this addresses your question. Have you considered looking at Waltke &
O’Connor on various adjective patterns?

Jason
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
jordan17182

Post by jordan17182 »

That is helpful, I found a reference in Jouon-Muraoka which I just ordered. There seems to have been relatively little interest in the phonology of adjectives compared with their syntax.

Werner, F. 1983. Die Wortbildung der hebräischen Adjektiva. Wiesbaden.
Jordan Furutani
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

jordan17182 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:43 am That is helpful, I found a reference in Jouon-Muraoka which I just ordered. There seems to have been relatively little interest in the phonology of adjectives compared with their syntax.

Werner, F. 1983. Die Wortbildung der hebräischen Adjektiva. Wiesbaden.
Indeed, I hadn’t given the question much thought. :)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳