The Use of Aposiopesus in Scripture

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Chris Watts

The Use of Aposiopesus in Scripture

Post by Chris Watts »

Do any of you know of any other examples where the writer breaks off and leaves the reader to fill in the missing words? I came accross Psalm 27:13 and noticed the word : לׅׄוּלֵׅׄ֗אׅׄ הֶ֭אֱמַנְתִּי לִרְא֥וֹת בְּֽטוּב־יְהוָ֗ה בְּאֶ֣רֶץ חַיִּֽים that is usualy translated as a straightforward 'Unless', 'Perhaps' or 'Maybe'. This must have been very common in everyday speech, as it is with all languages no doubt, and its use here is quite interesting as I never expected to see such a literary device being used in scripture.

Also, I could only find one reference as to the extra nikud, and that was in Sefaria here QUOTE : "" The dots that appear over the word luleh in the text indicate doubt and uncertainty of his piety, and whether he was deserving of a place in the land of the living "". Naturally I find this somewhat ridiculous, there has to be a more rational explanation as to why the scribes thought it necessary to do this. Anybody know please?

Thank you
Chris Watts