Is this a defective feminine plural, or what?

Classical Hebrew morphology and syntax, aspect, linguistics, discourse analysis, and related topics
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
ducky

Re: Is this a defective feminine plural, or what?

Post by ducky »

I like that subject too

I will send you later a few articles (in private) about the late biblical Hebrew by Horwitz and Talshir and maybe more
David Hunter
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote: If we want to use the appropriate terminology, we should use Hebrew. However, there's no reason to jump on someone for using English approximate translations to the Hebrew terms.
We should use Hebrew? That makes sense, except …

When we, speaking English, discuss German grammar, we don’t use Duden Deutsche Grammatik, rather we use English terms. When we discuss in English Latin grammar, we use English terms, not Latin. The same way with any other language, when we discuss its grammar in English, we use English terms. Hence the need for correct use of English terms when discussing Biblical Hebrew while speaking English.

The problem with Ducky is that his misuse of the English terms resulted in misunderstanding and miscommunication, after which he became verbally abusive. From what I’ve seen, he’s not willing to learn nor take correction. I don’t need to deal with such a person. I haven’t read any of his posts since I wrote to him saying that I intended to blacklist him from my reading.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

He's Israeli, Karl. He doesn't necessarily know the English terms, since he has ever and always learned Hebrew in Hebrew. Can't you cut someone slack, or must everything always be precise and perfect in order to have a conversation with you? It would be nice if everyone were super linguists, but if this forum is going to function, we need to be able to meet people where they are. You can offer correction, but don't be surprised when those same people have completely different life experiences that didn't lead them down the path that you have taken yourself.
Last edited by Jason Hare on Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hello Jason and Karl,

You keep saying "terms" (in plural), but what are we talking about?
I only was "mistaken" on one single term, which is also not a big deal - (between Conjugation and Stem).
And anyone can understand the point even if the term is not accurate.

And anyone with open eyes can understand that this is just an excuse to leave the discussion with a little bit of pride.
As taking this insignificant thing and making it to the most important one, as if it really changes anything essential in the conversation.

But exactly as in the "Hebrew reading challenge" that was not accepted because of a "so-called" tiny mistake and therefore this is the excuse to cancel the whole thing.
Which I would guess that there is no problem for the "only Biblical-Hebrew readers" to read the fake Jehoash script which is "not biblical", and not cancel the whole deal because of that.
But it becomes a good excuse not to read another not-original-biblical text if it comes without an already made English translation.
very comfortable switching of principles.

And also here, since the discussion went on some specific direction and not on the other one. Then suddenly the "Terms" became an issue.
Of course, everyone who reads my words can clearly understand what I meant. But what does it matter?
it is a good excuse to leave the discussion that didn't go the desired way.
(and we can even blame the other guy for that. What's better than that?)
David Hunter
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote:He's Israeli, Karl. He doesn't necessarily know the English terms, since he has ever and always learned Hebrew in Hebrew.
I realize that he’s Israeli. That’s all the more reason that it’s his responsibility to learn of what he is talking, before lashing out and being verbally abusive because of his incorrect use of English.
Jason Hare wrote:Can't you cut someone slack, or must everything always be precise and perfect in order to have a conversation with you?
I’m not a math professor demanding absolute correctness. What I ask for is humility and a desire to learn.

For example, I started this thread where I was already pretty sure of the answer, but I wanted to hear what others say, maybe I missed something.
Jason Hare wrote:It would be nice if everyone were super linguists, but if this forum is going to function, we need to be able to meet people where they are. You can offer correction, but don't be surprised when those same people have completely different life experiences that didn't lead them down the path that you have taken yourself.
The question is not life experiences, rather communication. For communication we need to use words in a way that is common to society as a whole. We can’t be like Humpty Dumpty in “Alice Through the Looking Glass” putting out own meanings into words then expect others to understand us.

Karl W. Randolph.