2 Chron. 1:11–12 — One Long Sentence

Jason Hare

2 Chron. 1:11–12 — One Long Sentence

Post by Jason Hare »

יא וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֱלֹהִ֣ים ׀ לִשְׁלֹמֹ֡ה יַ֣עַן אֲשֶׁר֩ הָֽיְתָ֨ה זֹ֜את עִם־לְבָבֶ֗ךָ וְלֹֽא־שָׁ֠אַלְתָּ עֹ֣שֶׁר נְכָסִ֤ים וְכָבוֹד֙ וְאֵת֙ נֶ֣פֶשׁ שֹֽׂנְאֶ֔יךָ וְגַם־יָמִ֥ים רַבִּ֖ים לֹ֣א שָׁאָ֑לְתָּ וַתִּֽשְׁאַל־לְךָ֙ חָכְמָ֣ה וּמַדָּ֔ע אֲשֶׁ֤ר תִּשְׁפּוֹט֙ אֶת־עַמִּ֔י אֲשֶׁ֥ר הִמְלַכְתִּ֖יךָ עָלָֽיו׃ יב הַֽחָכְמָ֥ה וְהַמַּדָּ֖ע נָת֣וּן לָ֑ךְ וְעֹ֨שֶׁר וּנְכָסִ֤ים וְכָבוֹד֙ אֶתֶּן־לָ֔ךְ אֲשֶׁ֣ר ׀ לֹא־הָ֣יָה כֵ֗ן לַמְּלָכִים֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר לְפָנֶ֔יךָ וְאַֽחֲרֶ֖יךָ לֹ֥א יִֽהְיֶה־כֵּֽן׃

These two verses constitute a single sentence, which is one of the longer sentences that I've seen in biblical Hebrew.

God said to Solomon: “Because this was with your heart and you did not ask for wealth, possessions, honor, the life of those who hate you, nor did you ask for many days (long life), but you asked for yourself wisdom and knowledge that you might judge my people over whom I have made you king, wisdom and knowledge are given you, and also wealth, possessions, and honor shall I give you, like no king before you had and like none after you will have.”

That's a long sentence with complicated syntax!

Have you come across any sentences longer than this, with clauses for explanation (“because...”) and purpose (“in order that”) and result (“I will do x”), etc.??
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Re: 2 Chron. 1:11–12 — One Long Sentence

Post by Jason Hare »

By the way, we now have a transliteration tag [​tl] to make transliteration more aesthetic.

For example,

Code: Select all

[tl]bərēʾšîṯ[/tl]
will yield bərēʾšîṯ (בְּרֵאשִׁית). Feel free to use the tag on transliterated text. It's set to Gentium Plus and will default to any serif font, which should look better for transliteration. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks to Kirk for getting that set up!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳