Biblical and Modern Hebrew

A forum for the discussion of teaching methods and class objectives for teaching Classical Hebrew.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
User avatar
Jason Hare
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:07 am
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel
Contact:

Biblical and Modern Hebrew

Postby Jason Hare » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:40 pm

To what extent do you think it's possible to teach biblical Hebrew using modern theory without incorporating the lexeis of rabbinic and modern Hebrew?

Also, do you think that biblical Hebrew can be taught communicatively using forms such as vayyiqtol (for instance)?

Do you have any experience teaching or learning in such a system?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel

kwrandolph
Posts: 964
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:51 am

Re: Biblical and Modern Hebrew

Postby kwrandolph » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:00 am

Jason Hare wrote:To what extent do you think it's possible to teach biblical Hebrew using modern theory without incorporating the lexeis of rabbinic and modern Hebrew?


What do you mean by “modern theory”?

If you mean modern theories about structure of the language, the question then becomes: which theory? I think there’s only one that fits the text, but there are others that are being taught.

If you mean pedagogical theory, even there there are questions, as we don’t know how Biblical Hebrew was pronounced.

Jason Hare wrote:Also, do you think that biblical Hebrew can be taught communicatively using forms such as vayyiqtol (for instance)?


Depends. What are the theories concerning forms such as the vayyiqtol. I have no problem with them. But most people that I see don’t understand how it’s used. Hence they have no solid understanding how to apply them.

Jason Hare wrote:Do you have any experience teaching or learning in such a system?


Unfortunately, no. The closest I’ve gotten to it is writing about it both here in this forum, and as an appendix to the dictionary I wrote.

Karl W. Randolph.


Return to “Hebrew Pedagogy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest