Don't Translate First to Check Comprehension-Do A Q & A in Hebrew!

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
talmid56

Re: Don't Translate First to Check Comprehension-Do A Q & A in Hebrew!

Post by talmid56 »

Oh, about the dictionary, Karl: I found the January edition you mentioned. Turns out I had failed to download it from my email. It is now downloaded and filed in my Hebrew folder on my Mac.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

Karl wrote:
I wrote my dictionary, first to help me read and understand Tanakh, then I have put it into a publishable format to send out to other people so that they may benefit from it. Now the question is how to get it more widely distributed.
Some have used the POD (Print on Demand) publishing mode with Amazon and Lulu for print books, then offer the digital form as free PDFs. Several scholars have done this with Greek and Latin works. Perhaps you might want to look at doing that method.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote:Lack of a venue. I haven’t investigated yet how to set up an online class, and my lack of papers precludes anyone else hiring me.
If you're interested in teaching for free, you can set up a Moodle through moodlecloud.com and advertize on Facebook. Using Zoom, you can record your sessions and keep them on YouTube, for instance. That saves it for posterity. There are constant opportunities for teaching, especially outside of the standard venues.
kwrandolph wrote:I wrote my dictionary, first to help me read and understand Tanakh, then I have put it into a publishable format to send out to other people so that they may benefit from it. Now the question is how to get it more widely distributed.

If you look at the dictionary that I wrote, I have a basic grammar written as an appendix to the word lists. It even includes charts of verb forms, as they appear without points.
I've just sent off an email requesting a copy of your dictionary.
Last edited by Jason Hare on Sun May 03, 2020 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

talmid56 wrote:Some have used the POD (Print on Demand) publishing mode with Amazon and Lulu for print books, then offer the digital form as free PDFs. Several scholars have done this with Greek and Latin works. Perhaps you might want to look at doing that method.
Notice that anything that is heavy with Greek or Hebrew will need to be created as a PDF for Amazon. I would make sure that you're not setting your paper size as A4 or Letter, since text would come out small for viewing. There's an application called Kindle Create that is supposed to help you set up books for uploading to Amazon.com.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳