Corrected Q & A Exercise on Ex. 2:23-25

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
talmid56

Re: Corrected Q & A Exercise on Ex. 2:23-25

Post by talmid56 »

Now here is the second corrected draft, with the additional corrections from Jason, except for the next to last question. As I said, I’m requesting further advice on how to revise it. (See earlier post from yesterday.)

[right]שמות ב

ידע אלוהים
את בני ישראל מן העבודה

23 וַיְהִי֩ בַיָּמִ֨ים הָֽרַבִּ֜ים הָהֵ֗ם וַיָּ֙מָת֙ מֶ֣לֶךְ מִצְרַ֔יִם וַיֵּאָנְח֧וּ בְנֵֽי־יִשְׂרָאֵ֛ל מִן־הָעֲבֹדָ֖ה וַיִּזְעָ֑קוּ וַתַּ֧עַל שַׁוְעָתָ֛ם
אֶל־הָאֱלֹהִ֖ים מִן־הָעֲבֹדָֽה׃
24 וַיִּשְׁמַ֥ע אֱלֹהִ֖ים אֶת־נַאֲקָתָ֑ם וַיִּזְכֹּ֤ר אֱלֹהִים֙ אֶת־בְּרִית֔וֹ אֶת־אַבְרָהָ֖ם אֶת־יִצְחָ֥ק וְאֶֽת־יַעֲקֹֽב׃
25 וַיַּ֥רְא אֱלֹהִ֖ים אֶת־בְּנֵ֣י יִשְׂרָאֵ֑ל וַיֵּ֖דַע אֱלֹהִֽים׃ ס

שאלות ותשבות

פסוק 23

מי מת
מלך מצרים
מה עשו בני ישראל
נאנחו.
למה נאנחו
מן העבודה
למי עלתה שועתם
אל האלוהים
למה עלתה שועתם
מן העבודה
העלתה אל האלוהים שועתם
שועתם עלתה.

פסוק 24

השמע אלוהים
הוא שמע.
מה שמע אלוהים
שמע את נאקתם.
מי זכר
זכר אלוהים.

מה הוא זכר
הוא זכר את בריתו.
את מי עשה ברית אלוהים
את אברהם, את יצחק, ואת יעקוב.

פסוק 25

מי ראה
אלוהים ראה.
את מי ראה אלוהים
ראה אלוהים את בני ישראל.
ומה עשה אלוהים
ידע אלהים.
חידע אלוהים
הוא ידע.
[/right]
Last edited by talmid56 on Sun May 10, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

talmid56 wrote:שאלות ותשבת
To start out, I don’t have anything philosophically against trying to write questions and answers. But you will have to suffer the humiliation of being inflicted with many corrections. But that’s one of the best ways to learn.

The word תשבת is Biblical, but is always used in connection to the root שבת meaning to cease, stop. There is a word, מענה that is found in Tanakh that means “answer”. Therefore the title should be שאלות ומענות. But to go a step further, חידה refers to a didactic question for the purpose of learning, so I would title the questions and answers as חידות ומענות.
talmid56 wrote: פסק 23…5.
‎את ברית אלהים?
You want to make this a question, “With whom did God make a covenant” את מי עשה אלהים ברית
talmid56 wrote:את אברהם, את יצחק, ואת יעקב.

This is a lot better than your original set of questions.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Change את ברית אלוהים to עִם מִי הַבְּרִית אֲשֶׁר הֻזְכְּרָה מִלְמַ֫עְלָה or something that expresses a more complete idea than what you have there. I'm not sure what you meant by your question itself. (Not intending to be too critical, of course.)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
talmid56

Post by talmid56 »

#5 on v. 23 now corrected. Actually, I had the question word in the first draft, but somehow it dropped out with the various changes. Nice catch, Karl. As for the verb, I was thinking a verbless copula, as is frequent in the Pentateuch. But using עשה works too, so I'll go with that.
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים