Hebrew Composition

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Hebrew Composition

Post by Jason Hare »

When you open a new topic on the forum, you will see a list of buttons just above the textbox. Before I begin typing in Hebrew, I click: [‎right] [‎heb]. This creates [‎right][‎heb][/heb][/right] in the textbox with the cursor in the middle. If I type שלום in the middle of those tags, I get:
שלום
This allows the text to be aligned on the right and to appear larger, which is good for writing back and forth. From there, I tend to hit the [‎enter] or [‎return] key twice to give me a blank space in which to write between the tags.

[‎right][‎heb]
I write here in Hebrew.
[‎/heb][‎/right]

There's no reason to worry about alignment of the punctuation for two reasons: (1) biblical Hebrew doesn't use punctuation, so you might just use sof-pasuk (׃) or a colon (:) to end a sentence, which will be aligned correctly when you preview or submit the message; and, (2) the tag [‎heb] aligns the text right-to-left when you preview or submit, so even if you have a colon the right side, it will appear on the "right" side when you send the messages.

So, the following will produce the text that appears after it.

[‎right][‎heb]
שלום לכל חברינו:
[‎/heb][‎/right]
שלום לכל חברינו:
Notice the alignment of the colon at the end of the line. You don't need to try to align it on the proper side before submitting. If you use sof-pasuk, however, it will be aligned correctly even within the non-marked-up text.

Do you have any further suggestions for our compositions here?

Let's try to use compositions more frequently! What do you say?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
talmid56

Re: Hebrew Composition

Post by talmid56 »

Helpful tips, thanks!
Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

כִּ֤י שֶׁ֨מֶשׁ׀ וּמָגֵן֮ יְהוָ֪ה אֱלֹ֫הִ֥ים חֵ֣ן וְ֭כָבוֹד יִתֵּ֣ן יְהוָ֑ה לֹ֥א יִמְנַע־ט֝֗וֹב לַֽהֹלְכִ֥ים בְּתָמִֽים׃
--(E 84:11) 84:12 תהלים