Weingreen Composition - Testing

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Re: Weingreen Composition - Exercise 1

Post by Jason Hare »

Kirk Lowery wrote:Ok, here's another attempt at the hidden text tag: "hide2"

This is a complete sentence [hide2]in English[/hide2].

What do you think?
Hidden Text

עברית
[hide2]
וְ֠נָֽתְנוּ בְּנֵ֨י אַֽהֲרֹ֧ן הַכֹּהֵ֛ן אֵ֖שׁ עַל־הַמִּזְבֵּ֑חַ וְעָֽרְכ֥וּ עֵצִ֖ים עַל־הָאֵֽשׁ׃ וְעָֽרְכ֗וּ בְּנֵ֤י אַֽהֲרֹן֙ הַכֹּ֣הֲנִ֔ים אֵ֚ת הַנְּתָחִ֔ים אֶת־הָרֹ֖אשׁ וְאֶת־הַפָּ֑דֶר עַל־הָֽעֵצִים֙ אֲשֶׁ֣ר עַל־הָאֵ֔שׁ אֲשֶׁ֖ר עַל־הַמִּזְבֵּֽחַ׃ וְקִרְבּ֥וֹ וּכְרָעָ֖יו יִרְחַ֣ץ בַּמָּ֑יִם וְהִקְטִ֨יר הַכֹּהֵ֤ן אֶת־הַכֹּל֙ הַמִּזְבֵּ֔חָה עֹלָ֛ה אִשֵּׁ֥ה רֵֽיחַ־נִיח֖וֹחַ לַֽיהוָֽה׃
[/hide2]

The first one doesn't work with the Hebrew tags, but the second one does. :)

I think if you delete [‎hide] and change the name of [‎hide2] to [‎hide] or [‎spoiler], then it will work just fine. Thanks for that!!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Ducky,

I don't need an explanation of the vocalization of the Tetragrammaton. I know where the vowels come from. In fact, did you know that the Aleppo Codex is missing the cholam on אדני when it refers to God and points it as אֲדנָי (not as אֲדֹנָי) in 97% of instances? The cholam missing on יְהוָה is also due to the cholam missing on אֲדנָי. It's a simple transference of the vowels from the one to the consonants of the other. I'm quite aware. I agree with those who think the name was יַהְוֶה or something similar. That or יָ֫הוּ.

Wilkinson suggests that the final heh was possible a vowel letter (like in כֹּה or פֹּה) and that it was read as יָהֹה (which appears in many places), to which the mater was added (יָהוֹה) and which could have been shortened to יָהוֹ. It's a big question, but it shouldn't occupy too much of our time here. Everyone should be free to pronounce it or not pronounce it as they are persuaded.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

S_Walch wrote:Not going to have any quibbles with that. This wouldn't have looked out of place if it had occurred in the Tanakh.
Do you think you'd participate in a project like this? Doing Weingreen's translation exercises?
S_Walch wrote:The last option is probably best. Let others make up their own mind on how to pronounce Yahweh's name :)
Yeah, people tend to pronounce Yahawah's name in many different ways. 8-)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hi Jason,

I Didn't mean to say that you don't know the meaning of the vowels. But I just saw your words of "I don't feel is real", and I wanted to expand a little bit more about these vowels, And you, in your post, added more information about that.
David Hunter
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

ducky wrote:Hi Jason,

I Didn't mean to say that you don't know the meaning of the vowels. But I just saw your words of "I don't feel is real", and I wanted to expand a little bit more about these vowels, And you, in your post, added more information about that.
Yeah, I got you. :) I've had a lot of interactions with people recently who think that the sheva-cholam-kamats actually belong to the name, and that it should be pronounced as if it were Yehovah. That's what I meant about not being real.

Is there any chance that you would be interested in participating in this project in your free time, too? The exercises get more challenging as they go on in the book.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Re: Weingreen Composition - Testing

Post by Jason Hare »

Since many of us have a copy of Weingreen's grammar, there are some pretty long English-to-Hebrew translations in the back part of the book. We might start with those, since they are accessible to basically everyone.

We could start in Exercise 30 and work to the end of the book. It's got some good stuff in it.

Any takers?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hi Jason,

I don't mind participating, and thanks.
I don't know what this project is all about, but I will follow it and see what I get from it.
did you start it already in another thread?
David Hunter
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

ducky wrote:Hi Jason,

I don't mind participating, and thanks.
I don't know what this project is all about, but I will follow it and see what I get from it.
did you start it already in another thread?
No, I figured this would be like a test thread in which we'd decide exactly what we're going to be doing.

Have you heard of Weingreen's grammar?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

No, I haven't.
What is this grammar?
David Hunter
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

Jason Hare wrote:Do you think you'd participate in a project like this? Doing Weingreen's translation exercises?
I would indeed!
Ste Walch