Weingreen Composition - Chapter 30 and On

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
S_Walch

Re: Weingreen Composition - Chapter 30 and On

Post by S_Walch »

וַיִּשְׁאַלֵם

In modern Hebrew, what would be the most common: split words or suffixed?
Ste Walch
ducky

Post by ducky »

וישאלם is right but you need to change the Patah' in the Aleph to Qamats.

Modern Hebrew always prefers to split words.
People, while talking, prefer to "break the sentence down to "small units" so it is clear.
So it is common to say וישאל אתם
(actually שאל אתם - since the form of וישאל is not in the spoken modern Hebrew).

suffixed words are more in nice talk or in the literature (form as וישאל (with the "special" Vav) is only in poetry of high literature).
David Hunter
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

ducky wrote:Yes. you can write it in two words: וישאל אתם
or, you can write the verb and its object in one word
...?
וַיִּשְׁאָלֵם
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

ducky wrote:וישאלם is right but you need to change the Patah' in the Aleph to Qamats.
Just wanted to say that why it is וַיִּשְׁאָלֵם has to do with syllabification. The word is stressed on the final syllable: וַיִּשְׁאָלֵ֫ם, which makes the syllable with alef unaccented. Since the lamed is not doubled (with dagesh), the alef is also an open syllable. When a syllable is unaccented and open, it needs a long vowel. Hence, kamats rather than patach.

וַיִּשְׁאַל אֹתָם ← וַיִּשְׁאָלֵם
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason: my translation was almost identical to yours, except I don’t bother with the vowel points.

Also I took the word for “amid” from Genesis 42:5 בתוך instead of בין

Both of us recognized the story from Genesis, and so started our translations with וירא, whereas the way Weingreen wrote the sentence, it should have started with ראה.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote:Both of us recognized the story from Genesis, and so started our translations with וירא, whereas the way Weingreen wrote the sentence, it should have started with ראה.
I recommend anything written by John Cook on the narrative features of Hebrew verbs. There's no reason to slavishly translate the וַ◌ּ element in וַיַּרְא as "and he saw." It is there because that is how Hebrew expresses the narrative past, not because the conjunction actually means "and." So, I think anyone who is at the level of translating English into Hebrew should see that narrative is carried along with vav-consecutives, even from the beginning of the string. I don't see it as problematic on Weingreen's behalf. He's simply checking that we understand how narrative works. :)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jonathan Beck

Post by Jonathan Beck »

Ok. I’m gonna get on this Weingreen thing.
Jonathan Beck
Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion, Cincinnati
Interim Pastor, Norwood Grace UMC, Cincinnati, OH.
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

Jason Hare wrote:Just wanted to say that why it is וַיִּשְׁאָלֵם has to do with syllabification. The word is stressed on the final syllable: וַיִּשְׁאָלֵ֫ם, which makes the syllable with alef unaccented. Since the lamed is not doubled (with dagesh), the alef is also an open syllable. When a syllable is unaccented and open, it needs a long vowel. Hence, kamats rather than patach.

וַיִּשְׁאַל אֹתָם ← וַיִּשְׁאָלֵם
Thanks for the helpful information as always, Jason! :)
Ste Walch
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

S_Walch wrote:My vowel-points are likely wrong (I've spent much time with the DSS so I forget a lot of how the vowel-points are supposed to be), but here's my attempt:
Hidden Text

וַיַּ֥רְא יוֹסֵ֛ף אֶת־אֶחָ֖יו בַּבָּאִ֣ים לְמִצְרַ֖יִם וַיִּגַּשׁ לָהֶ֔ם וַיִּשְׁאַ֨ל בַּֽהֶ֔ם לֵאמֹ֔ר הֲט֤וֹב לַאֲבִיכֶם הַזָּקֵ֖ן וַיֹּאמְר֗וּ הֲט֤וֹב וְהִנֵּ֨ה יֵרֵ֛ד אִתָּ֛נוּ אָחִ֥ינוּ הַקָּטֹן
I have thought about it for a while, and I wanted to respond on this one. The sentence «Is it well with (ל) your old father?» has its correspondence in 2 Kings 4:26. Notice the following:

עַתָּה֮ רֽוּץ־נָ֣א לִקְרָאתָהּ֒ וֶֽאֱמָר־לָ֗הּ הֲשָׁל֥וֹם לָ֛ךְ הֲשָׁל֥וֹם לְאִישֵׁ֖ךְ הֲשָׁל֣וֹם לַיָּ֑לֶד וַתֹּ֖אמֶר שָׁלֽוֹם׃

We have here several instances of asking after someone's well-being.

הֲשָׁלוֹם לָךְ - "Is it well with you?"
הֲשָׁלוֹם לְאִישֵׁךְ - "Is it well with your husband?"
הֲשָׁלוֹם לַיֶּ֫לֶד - "Is it well with the child?" (in pause as יָלֶד)

The answer is simply שָׁלוֹם in all cases.

Also, when they gave the response to Joseph, it shouldn't have the interrogative heh attached to it (הֲטוֹב).
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jonathan Beck

Post by Jonathan Beck »

(1) Joseph saw his brothers among the (ones) coming to Egypt and he drew near unto them and he asked them, saying: ‘Is it well with (ל) your old father?’ and they said, ‘It is well, and behold our small brother hath come down with us’.ו44
Hidden Text

וַיַּרְא יוֹסֵף את־אֶחָיו מֵבָּאִים אל־מִצרָיִם וַיִּקרַב עַלֵיכֶם וַיִּשְׁעָלֵם הֲשָׁלוֹם לְאֲבְכֶם הַזָּקֵן וַיֹֹּאמְרוּ שָׁלוֹם וְהִנֵּה אָחֵנוּ הַקָּטוֹן יָרָד עִמָּנוּ
Last edited by Jonathan Beck on Mon May 18, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Beck
Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion, Cincinnati
Interim Pastor, Norwood Grace UMC, Cincinnati, OH.