Weingreen Composition - Exercise 30, Number 6

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Weingreen Composition - Exercise 30, Number 6

Post by Jason Hare »

Here's the next one, guys:
(6) David brought the priest near unto him and he inquired of [בּ] the Lord saying, ‘Wilt Thou give this city in my hand when I shall fight against it?’
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Re: Weingreen Composition - Exercise 30, Number 6

Post by Jason Hare »

(6) David brought the priest near unto him and he inquired of [בּ] the Lord saying, ‘Wilt Thou give this city in my hand when I shall fight against it?’
My submission:
Hidden Text

(6) וַיַּגֵּשׁ דָּוִד אֶת־הַכֹּהֵן וַיִּשְׁאַל בַּיהוָה [בְּיַהְוֶה] לֵאמֹר הֲתִתֵּן אֶת־הָעִיר הַזֹּאת בְּיָדִי כַּאֲשֶׁר אֶלָּחֵם בָּהּ׃
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hidden Text

וַיַּקְרֵב דָּוִד אֶת הַכֹּהֵן אֵלָיו וַיִּשְׁאַל בַּי"י הַאֵצֵא לַמִּלְחָמָה עַל הָעִיר הֲתִתְּנֶנָּה בְּיָדִי
David Hunter
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

ducky wrote:
Hidden Text

וַיַּקְרֵב דָּוִד אֶת הַכֹּהֵן אֵלָיו וַיִּשְׁאַל בַּי"י הַאֵצֵא לַמִּלְחָמָה עַל הָעִיר הֲתִתְּנֶנָּה בְּיָדִי
I did EXACTLY that originally. I wrote ויקרב דוד את הכהנים אליו in those exact words. Then, I did what everyone did in the last set and searched for "brought near unto him" in the English Bible, and I found three results - and they all said ויגש דוד את הכהנים, so that's what I went with. I changed it. But, you and I were 100% in agreement with that. Except that I'd have pointed it וַיְקָרֵב (piel) instead of וַיַקְרֵב (hiphil), which sounds like David sacrificed them. :lol:
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
ducky

Post by ducky »

Hi Jason,

You're right about the "dual meaning", but I chose קרב not only because it is valid, but also because there are a few cases when it is said that Moses brought near Aharon, and it comes in the reference of the priesthood. So I thought it would be nicer to use the same root for that context.
David Hunter
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

My go:

Edit:

Oops, forgot the non-vowel pointed version!
Hidden Text

דוד הביא הכהן אלו וישאל ביהוה לאמר תתן בידי העיר הזאת בנלחמתי בה
דָוִד הֵבִיא הַכֹּהֵן אֵלֹו וָיִּשְׁאַל בַּיהוה לֵאמֹר תִּתֵּן בְּיָדִי הָעִיר הַזֺּאת בְנִלְחַמְתִּי בָהּ
Ste Walch
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

I already see I should have the interrogative הֲ attached to תִּתֵּן = הֲתִתֵּן
Ste Walch
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

S_Walch wrote:My go:
Hidden Text

דוד הביא הכהן אלו וישאל ביהוה לאמר תתן בידי העיר הזאת בנלחמתי בה

דָוִד הֵבִיא הַכֹּהֵן אֵלֹו וָיִּשְׁאַל בַּיהוה לֵאמֹר תִּתֵּן בְּיָדִי הָעִיר הַזֺּאת בְנִלְחַמְתִּי בָהּ
Notice that the preposition אֶל takes the "plural" endings, so instead of אֵלוֹ, you should have אֵלָיו (or, perhaps a defective אֵלָו, though that isn't normal).

You're consistently forgetting to add אֵת as a DDOM. So, you should have אֶת־הַכֹּהֵן and אֶת־הָעִיר.

If you want to use the niphal as an infintive construct, it should appear with heh: בְּהִלָּחֲמִי.

I read the exercises as "the priests" instead of "the priest." I'll go correct mine now! Thanks!!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

Jason Hare wrote:Notice that the preposition אֶל takes the "plural" endings, so instead of אֵלוֹ, you should have אֵלָיו (or, perhaps a defective אֵלָו, though that isn't normal).
Indeed the most common is אֵלָיו. The defective is most certainly uncommon (1 Sam 22:13; Ezek 9:4; Zech 2:8), but hopefully acceptable!
You're consistently forgetting to add אֵת as a DDOM. So, you should have אֶת־הַכֹּהֵן and אֶת־הָעִיר.
:lol: Seems I either don't use the DDOM when I should, or use it when I shouldn't!
If you want to use the niphal as an infintive construct, it should appear with heh: בְּהִלָּחֲמִי.
I was actually just trying to use it as a niphal perfect (see 1 Sam 29:8; Jer 21:5) with the first person suffix תי; it is more probably my usage of the ב prefix which is wrong in this case.

Would כִּי work in this instance?

כִּי נִלְחַמְתִּי
Ste Walch
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

S_Walch wrote: I was actually just trying to use it as a niphal perfect (see 1 Sam 29:8; Jer 21:5) with the first person suffix תי; it is more probably my usage of the ב prefix which is wrong in this case.

Would כִּי work in this instance?

כִּי נִלְחַמְתִּי
If you're looking for a subordinating conjunction, I'd go with כַּאֲשֶׁר.

But, "I shall fight" would normally draw out the imperfect אֶלָּחֵם rather than the perfect נִלְחַ֫מְתִּי.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳