Weingreen Grammar, Composition 31.1

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 31.1

Post by Jason Hare »

Ste wrote:
Hidden Text

ויהי כי הנביא יקרא את הדברים האלה בספר אשר הכהן מצא בבית אלהים ומלך קרע את־בגדיו ויקרא חטא העם הזה לפני יהוה אלהינו והשביע כל העם ביום ההוא מגדל ועד קטן לעבד ליהוה ולעזב אלהי הארץ
וַיְהִי כִּי הַנְּבִיא יִּקְרָא אֶת־הַדְּבָרִים הַאֵלֶּה בַסֵּפֶר אֲשֶׁר הַכֺּהֵן מָצָא בְּבֵית אֱלֹהִים וּמֶלֶךְ קָרָע אֵֶת־בְּגָדָיו וַיְּקֵרֵא חָטָא הָעָם הַזֶּה לִפְנֵי יהוה אֱלֺהֵינוּ וְהִשְֹבִּיעַ כֺּל הָעָם בַּיּוֹם הַהוּא מִגָּדֺל וְעַד קָּטֺן לַעֲבֺד לַיהוה וְלַעֲזְב אֱלֹהֵי הַאָרֵץ
Lots of little things. The most important is structure: background (often with temporal import) + vav-consecutive ("narrative past").

I think נְבִיא is Aramaic, since the pretonic vowel reduces in Aramaic and lengthens in Hebrew, where we see נָבִיא. It reduces only in construct.

I think the subordination created with כִּי forces a word-order switch, so that instead of הַנָּבִיא יִקְרָא you have יִקְרָא הַנָּבִיא.

Normally, the expression "and it came to pass when..." is וַיְהִי כְּ־ with an infinitive construct and the subject either following or with a personal pronoun suffix. It's a kind of fixed expression. In this case, the infinitive construct of קר״א is קְרֹא and we would expect וַיְהִי כִּקְרֹא הַנָּבִיא "and it came to pass when the prophet read..." which is followed by the direct object as you have it.

"And the king rent" is the beginning of the vav-consecutive. The material before that is the background, so we have to write וַיִּקְרַע הַמֶּ֫לֶךְ, and the pointing of "and he cried" is וַיִּקְרָא. "And he made them swear" should be vav-consecutive also: וַיַּשְׁבַּע.

לַעֲבֹד takes its object with אֵת, and you need אֵת with the final verb, too, since "the gods of the land" is definite, and its verb needs to have that o-quality vowel: לַעֲזֹב.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
S_Walch

Post by S_Walch »

Cheers, Jason.

If I've understood what you've said correctly, I wasn't *too* far from getting this more or less right (niqqud letting me down again though!); composing is harder than reading.

Anyway, here's what it should hopefully come out as when I've put in all your corrections:
Hidden Text

וַיְהִי כִּקְרֹא הַנָּבִיא אֶת־הַדְּבָרִים הַאֵלֶּה בַסֵּפֶר אֲשֶׁר הַכֺּהֵן מָצָא בְּבֵית אֱלֹהִים וּיִּקְרַע הַמֶּלֶךְ אֵֶת־בְּגָדָיו וַיִּקְרָא חָטָא הָעָם הַזֶּה לִפְנֵי יהוה אֱלֺהֵינוּ וַיַּשְׁבַּע אֵת כֺּל הָעָם בַּיּוֹם הַהוּא מִגָּדֺל וְעַד קָּטֺן לַעֲבֺד אֶת־יהוה וְלַעֲזֹב אֶת־אֱלֹהֵי הַאָרֵץ
Having 6-7 mistakes out of a total of 34 words, I consider a win :lol:
Ste Walch
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Great!

I wonder if Karl will be joining us before we move on.

I'd like to post the new exercise today.

Jason
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jonathan Beck

Post by Jonathan Beck »

Here is my revised version. What do you think?
Hidden Text

וַיְהִי בִּקְרֹא הַנָּבִיא אֶת־הַדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶה אֲשֶׁר מָצָה הַכֹּהֵן בְּבֵת־אֱלֹהִים וִקְרֹעַ אֶת־בְּגָדַיו וַיִצְעַק לֵאמֹר הָעָם חָטֹא חָטָא לִפְנֵי יהוה אֱלֹהֵינוּ׃ וַהַשְׁבֵּע אֶת־כָּל־הָעָם בַּיּוֹם הָהוּא מִגָדוֹל עַד הַקָּטַן לַעֲבֹד אֶת־יהוה וִלְעַזֹב אֶת־אֱלֹהָי הָעָרֶץ׃
Jonathan Beck
Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion, Cincinnati
Interim Pastor, Norwood Grace UMC, Cincinnati, OH.