Weingreen Grammar, Composition 31.3

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Weingreen Grammar, Composition 31.3

Post by Jason Hare »

31.3:
(3) And Jacob blessed his sons before his death and he said: ‘Reuben, thou art my firstborn, thine enemies shall fall before thee and thy hand shall rule over them’.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 31.3

Post by Jason Hare »

My submission:
Hidden Text

(3) וַיְבָ֫רֶךְ יַעֲקֹב אֶת־בָּנָיו לִפְנֵי מוֹתוֹ וַיֹּאמַר רְאוּבֵן בְּכוֹרִי אַתָּה אֹיְבֶ֫יךָ לְפָנֶ֫יךָ יִפֹּ֫לוּ וּמָֽשְׁלָה יָֽדְךָ בָּהֶם׃
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jonathan Beck

Post by Jonathan Beck »

Here is mine!

(3) And Jacob blessed his sons before his death and he said: ‘Reuben, thou art my firstborn, thine enemies shall fall before thee and thy hand shall rule over them’.
Hidden Text

וַיְבָרֶךְ יַעֲקֹב אֶת־בֵּנָיו לִפְנֵי מוֹתוֹ וַיּאֹמֶר יַעֲקֹב רְאוּבֵן אַתָּה בָכֳרִי וְאֹיְבֶיךָ יִפְּלוּ לְפָנֶיךָ וּמָלְכָה יָדְךָ עֲלֵיהֶם׃
Jonathan Beck
Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion, Cincinnati
Interim Pastor, Norwood Grace UMC, Cincinnati, OH.
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

I just thought I'd give it a try:
Hidden Text

וברך יעקב בני לפני מותו ואמר ראובן בכור איביך יאפלו לפניך ויד ימלך עליהם
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Glenn Dean wrote:I just thought I'd give it a try:
Hey, Glenn! Is it your first time doing a translation into Hebrew?!
Glenn Dean wrote:
Hidden Text

וברך יעקב בני לפני מותו ואמר ראובן בכור איביך יאפלו לפניך ויד ימלך עליהם
To render the narrative past, you should first create the imperfect (actually, the jussive, but most of the time they are the same). The word לְבָרֵךְ takes its imperfect as יְבָרֵךְ. The narrative past is וַיְבָ֫רֶךְ with an accent shift (which you don't have to mark if you aren't doing vowels). (The dagesh after the vav is lost due to Skin 'Em Levy.)

Rather than בני, which might mean "my sons" בָּנַי or "sons of" בְּנֵי, we need to say "his sons" בָּנָיו, and it should have the object marker: אֶת־בָּנָיו.

ואמר would normally be rendered with the future (as if vav-consecutive). It should follow an imperfect or an imperative and will normally function in a non-real mood. To make it narrative past, you first put it in the imperfect and then attach the vav conjunction with patach and dagesh (like above). Thus, we should have "and he said" וַיֹּ֫אמֶר.

As you've written it, ראובן בכור איביך would mean "Reuben is the firstborn of your enemies." You need to insert the personal pronoun אתה and the 1cs suffix ("my firstborn" בכורי) to get "you are my first born" בְּכוֹרִי אַתָּה.

The root of "fall" is נפל, and the nun assimilates in the imperfect. So, we have יִפְּלוּ (or יִפֹּ֫לוּ in pause).

Your ויד ימלך עליהם doesn't specify whose hand. It should be "your hand" יָֽדְךָ, and since יד is feminine, the verb should become תִּמְלֹךְ.

For a first attempt, this is great. Be aware that I'm a detail person, so I notice lots of things. I do it to everyone (ask Jonathan!). Don't take anything personally or as a failure. This is a project and a kind-of game. I'm glad that you're joining in! :)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Jonathan Beck wrote:Here is mine!

Hidden Text

וַיְבָרֶךְ יַעֲקֹב אֶת־בֵּנָיו לִפְנֵי מוֹתוֹ וַיּאֹמֶר יַעֲקֹב רְאוּבֵן אַתָּה בָכֳרִי וְאֹיְבֶיךָ יִפְּלוּ לְפָנֶיךָ וּמָלְכָה יָדְךָ עֲלֵיהֶם׃
בניו should have kamats in the first syllable.
The pointing is "my firstborn" בְּכֹרִי.

That's it!! :)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Thanxs Jason for the great feedback!! (I do see that I need to be much more careful!!)

I've always been somewhat unclear on how you wrote "my firstborn are you" (I would of written "You (are) my firstborn") - how did you decide on which way??
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Ah, the word order in such a case is flexible. Modern Hebrew would rightly say אתה בכורי, but I think it seems more natural in the biblical tongue to switch it up. Either way is fine. The point is the need for the pronoun.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Thanxs Jason for the info!
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

So, we're going to go ahead and proceed to composition 31.4. :)
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳