Weingreen Grammar, Composition 31.5

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Glenn Dean

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 31.5

Post by Glenn Dean »

Jason Hare wrote:There's no reason for us to force the issue of word order, of course. It just seems odd to begin a verse with a perfective form without any conjunction or reason for it to be fronted. That's why I commented on it.
Ah, I didn't even notice that, so thanxs for pointing that out - I didn't have a waw-consecutive but yet I used VSO.

I'm going thru 1 Sam 3 right now so I'll try to keep an eye out for if they're consistent (i.e. if waw-consecutive go VSO, but if no waw-consecutive then go SVO)

Glenn
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Glenn Dean wrote:
Jason Hare wrote:There's no reason for us to force the issue of word order, of course. It just seems odd to begin a verse with a perfective form without any conjunction or reason for it to be fronted. That's why I commented on it.
Ah, I didn't even notice that, so thanxs for pointing that out - I didn't have a waw-consecutive but yet I used VSO.

I'm going thru 1 Sam 3 right now so I'll try to keep an eye out for if they're consistent (i.e. if waw-consecutive go VSO, but if no waw-consecutive then go SVO)

Glenn
Let me know if you want to sit and read in the next couple of hours. I have tomorrow off from work. Have been working on my PowerPoint presentation for my Aramaic group, but I just came to a stopping point. I'd love to sit and read through 1 Samuel 3 with you over the phone or Zoom/Skype, if you're interested. Just let me know. You can send me a PM here on the forum.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Thanxs!! For the offer!!

BUT I'm too "paranoid" about my Hebrew vocalization - after translating each verse, I then listen to a recording of the verse and then practice vocalizing the verse (but, tbh, I can't stand the way I sound, it's tough to hear myself attempt Hebrew)

But thank-you so much for the offer!

Glenn
Jonathan Beck

Post by Jonathan Beck »

I approve of these posts. :)
Jonathan Beck
Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion, Cincinnati
Interim Pastor, Norwood Grace UMC, Cincinnati, OH.