Continuing with Hebrew Compositions?

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Continuing with Hebrew Compositions?

Post by Jason Hare »

Is anyone interested in picking up the English-to-Hebrew exercises from Weingreen's book again? I got the [​hide] tag working again, with a little change.

Instead of using [​hide] for both English and Hebrew, if you write an English hidden text, use [​hide], and if you want to hide Hebrew text, use [​hide-he]. This will automatically align it from right to left and stylize it with SBL BibLit font.

Code: Select all

[hide-he]שלום לכם[/hide-he]
Yields:
Hidden Hebrew Text

שלום לכם
We can no longer use tags within the [​hide] tag itself. So, the following is now invalid:

Code: Select all

[hide][right][heb]שלום לכם[/heb][/right][/hide]
It will yield:
Hidden Text

[right][heb]שלום לכם[/heb][/right]
Notice that [​hide-he] is now a button on the text editor, whereas [​hide] has been removed.

Is there any interest in starting this up again?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Re: Continuing with Hebrew Compositions?

Post by Jason Hare »

Well, it seems that 32.4 is killing the momentum. Is there still interest?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:58 pm Well, it seems that 32.4 is killing the momentum. Is there still interest?
Jason, I found the exercises fun. But after what I did to 32:4, do you still want me to be involved?

By the way, I looked at your translation of 32:5 and found that I have a couple of minor disagreements.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:59 am Jason, I found the exercises fun. But after what I did to 32:4, do you still want me to be involved?

By the way, I looked at your translation of 32:5 and found that I have a couple of minor disagreements.

Karl W. Randolph.
I don’t know what you mean. I don’t think you did anything offensive or problematic in 32.4. Why would you not be involved? Can you point out on that thread what you found less that appropriate in my translation?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳