Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.2

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Glenn Dean

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.2

Post by Glenn Dean »

here's my 'reading' of this exercise.

I'm just curious - if you didn't know what I was reading, is it even understandable Hebrew?? (It doesn't sound like Hebrew to me :( )

I'm doing this because I want to record what I sound like on Oct 11, 2021, and then may be 1-year from now read the exact same phrase and see if I've improved (or dis-improved)

Glenn
Last edited by Glenn Dean on Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I hadn't considered the idea of creating personal recordings of our translations. Very neat!

What you've recorded there is perfectly intelligible.

I added the [​youtube] tag to attach your video to the forum itself.

I can't imagine that practice would not lead to improvement.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Jason Hare wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:33 pm What you've recorded there is perfectly intelligible.
Thanxs!! Is there an emoticon that does a "victory dance" yeaaaaaaaa!!
I added the [​youtube] tag to attach your video to the forum itself.
Thanxs! That youtube tag makes it much nicer!

Keep in mind I could never produce that audio on my own (that's clear I hope, no way can I put vowels on anything :o ). I just read your hebrew in that audio
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:37 am The infinitive construct of הלך loses the heh and picks up a tav: בלכתי "in my walking." The niphal of נצל is "to be saved" rather than "to save." It should be hiphil.
Looking at your comments, and then doing some electronic searches, I came across the following:

I should have looked up charts of paradigms first. That’s one of those things that when one reads it, one recognizes it, but to try to reproduce the idea off the top of one’s head can lead to mistakes. These exercises do help.

The Hophal of נצל is found in verses such as Joshua 2:13, 1 Samuel 17:35, Jeremiah 1:8 and more.

Then there are several verses where the middle voice (Hophal active cause, passive verb) is combined with the active (Hiphil active cause, active verb), e.g. 1 Samuel 30:8, 2 Kings 18:30 and more.

I meant נצל to be Hophal as in the first example above.

I was not happy with the הלכי that I wrote. What I did was to follow the formula. Were it a regular verb like דבר it would have been correct, but הלך is an irregular verb. The Qal participle הלך is found, but as far as I can tell is refers exclusively to an object that is going. The form הולך is also found, but that appears to be an indeterminate form, rather than referring to a specific event (though sometimes referring to the indeterminate action within a specific event, e.g. Numbers 22:22). The irregular participle has the same consonantal form as the infinitive, so with a suffix becomes לכתי or לכתך depending on the one who goes.

So you are right, I should have written בלכתי for “as I went”.

These excercizes are useful. Reading or hearing for comprehension takes one linguistic skill. Reproducing my thoughts in that foreign language takes another skill. With Biblical Hebrew, I have done very little of the second skill.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:05 pm With Biblical Hebrew, I have done very little of the second skill.
The problem is that biblical Hebrew is normally treated as a passive-only language. It is used only for reading (maybe listening). It's challenging for everyone to switch modes and work on production. These exercises are useful for people at all levels, I believe.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳