Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.3

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Glenn Dean

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.3

Post by Glenn Dean »

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:05 am Notice that לִזְכֹּר is the opposite of לִשְׁכֹּחַ.
These are my notes - not sure how I switched it to zkar!!
W32_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I see that you wrote asatika. Remember that third-heh verbs switch to yod before the consonant endings.
ʿāśấ → ʿāśî́ṯî
עָשָׂה ← עָשִׂ֫יתִי
This doesn't change when you add the suffix.
ʿăśîṯî́ḵā = עֲשִׂיתִ֫יךָ
So, rather than asatika, make that second vowel an i and write asitikha (don't forget to aspirate that kaf!).
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:53 am It's 0x05BE. Alt code 0205.
U R D Man!!!! Thanxs!! OK, I just have to "show off" the improvement: על־דבר (I enlarged the text for "extra effect" :D
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:33 pm I see that you wrote asatika. Remember that third-heh verbs switch to yod before the consonant endings.
ʿāśấ → ʿāśî́ṯî
עָשָׂה ← עָשִׂ֫יתִי
This doesn't change when you add the suffix.
ʿăśîṯî́ḵā = עֲשִׂיתִ֫יךָ
So, rather than asatika, make that second vowel an i and write asitikha (don't forget to aspirate that kaf!).
Thanxs - I didn't realize I forgot the qamets on that pronomial suffix
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:50 pm Here's the next translation exercise.
Hear thou the word of God which he hath spoke against (עַל) thee. Behold I have made thee king over Israel and thou wast not afraid to forget the Lord and thou didst serve strange gods.
Enjoy!
To start out with, here’s the closest idea as found in Tanakh to the translation that is expected:

11 ויאמר יהוה לשלמה יען אשר היתה זאת עמך ולא שמרת בריתי וחקתי אשר צויתי עליך—קרע אקרע את הממלכה מעליך ונתתיה לעבדך

Here is my first attempt at translating what Weingreen wrote:

שמע את הדבר אשר אמר אלהים עלך, הנה שמתיך למלך על ישראל ולא יראת לשכח את יהוה אלהיך לעבד אלהים אחרים

I suspect that Weingreen expected the phrase “strange gods” to come out as אלהים נכרים but that’s not found in Tanakh. The closest I found was “gods of a stranger” אלהי נכר or “gods of the stranger” אלהי הנכר but not “strange gods”. However, “other gods” אלהים אחרים is found over 40 times.

After writing the above, I snuck a peek at your notes, and agree that the Hophal “I caused you to be king” comes out better than what I wrote, so my translation comes out as:

שמע את הדבר אשר אמר אלהים עלך, הנה המלכתיך על ישראל ולא יראת לשכח את יהוה אלהיך לעבד אלהים אחרים

Finally, the phrase “fear to forget” sounds odd and unnatural for Hebrew, rather phrases like “you caused me to be thrown down behind your back” אתי השלכת אחרי גוך as in 1 Kings 14:9 and concerning the Torah in Nehemiah 9:26. or “you did not keep to serve me” לא שמרת לעבדני sounds more like it. That makes a change like:

שמע את הדבר אשר אמר יהוה עלך, הנה המלכתיך על ישראל ואתי השלכת אחרי גוך כי עבדת אלהים אחרים

Or similarly:

שמע את הדבר אשר אמר יהוה עלך, הנה המלכתיך על ישראל ולא שמרת לעבד אתי כי עבדת אלהים אחרים

Karl W. Randolph.
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »