Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.3

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.3

Post by Jason Hare »

Here's the next translation exercise.
Hear thou the word of God which he hath spoke against (עַל) thee. Behold I have made thee king over Israel and thou wast not afraid to forget the Lord and thou didst serve strange gods.
Enjoy!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.3

Post by Jason Hare »

My submission:
Hidden Hebrew Text

שְׁמַע אֶת־דְּבַר אֱלֹהִים אֲשֶׁר דִּבֶּר עָלֶ֫יךָ הִנֵּה הִמְלַכְתִּ֫יךָ עַל יִשְׂרָאֵל וְלֹא יָרֵ֫אתָ לִשְׁכֹּחַ אֶת־יְהוָה וֵאלֹהִים אֲחֵרִים עָבַ֫דְתָּ׃
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Hidden Hebrew Text

שׁמע את־דבר־אלהים אשׁר קרא עליך הנה עשׂיתיך המלך על־ישׁראל ולא יראת לזכר יהוה ועבדת אלהים מוזרים
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Glenn,

Just as far as typing is concerned, if you're using the standard Israeli keyboard, you can access the makaf (־) by holding the Alt-Gr key (the "alt" key on the right side of the keyboard) and typing the hyphen key. I'm not sure what you're typing, but it's coming out really high on the line. I've replaced it for you in your submission.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Glenn Dean wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:08 pm
Hidden Hebrew Text

שׁמע את־דבר־אלהים אשׁר קרא עליך הנה עשׂיתיך המלך על־ישׁראל ולא יראת לזכר יהוה ועבדת אלהים מוזרים
I wonder if there's a difference between he "spoke" against you and he "cried out" against you. The text says "spoke," which I would take simply as דִּבֶּר.

If you want to use עשה, then "king" would be preceded by ל־. It's generally called the lamed of product or something like that. "I made you TO king." Or, just leave it off and make it indefinite: "I made you king."

There is a verb that means "make king," which is the hiphil of מל״ך. I'm sure that this is what Weingreen was expecting. You could say either הִמְלַ֫כְתִּי אֹתְךָ or (with the attached suffix) הִמְלַכְתִּ֫יךָ.

It's probably better to attach את before יהוה. Notice that לִזְכֹּר is the opposite of לִשְׁכֹּחַ.

In the end, וְעָבַדְתָּ would normally be the irreal perfect. It would be used for non-indicate mood and the future. It's traditionally called veqatal (that is, wəqāṭal) or the "vav-consecutive perfect." To make it the past, you use the imperfect with vav-consecutive (traditionally so called). That is, the narrative past, which would be וַתַּעֲבֹד in this case. I didn't really like this option, so I fronted the object and made the verb a regular perfect (qāṭal).
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I wonder how others might feel about the use of וְעָבַדְתָּ֫ (wəqāṭal), עָבַ֫דְתָּ (qāṭal), and וַתַּעֲבֹד (wayyiqṭōl) in the final phrase. Any comments?
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:53 am Glenn,

Just as far as typing is concerned, if you're using the standard Israeli keyboard, you can access the makaf (־) by holding the Alt-Gr key (the "alt" key on the right side of the keyboard) and typing the hyphen key. I'm not sure what you're typing, but it's coming out really high on the line. I've replaced it for you in your submission.
I know - my makaf looks terrible. You wouldn't know the unicode value for the makaf you are using? I'm currently using 0x00AF (I've also tried 0305, 035E, and 0C7C, but they all look terrible too)

Glenn
Last edited by Glenn Dean on Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

It's 0x05BE. Alt code 0205.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:05 am I wonder if there's a difference between he "spoke" against you and he "cried out" against you. The text says "spoke," which I would take simply as דִּבֶּר.
I was debating that point (in my head ha-ha), but I'm reading Jonah right now and in verse 1:2 they use קרא ("Rise! Go! to Nineva the great city, and cry out against them), so when I saw in our reading "he hath spoke against thee" I thought to use קרא
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:05 am There is a verb that means "make king," which is the hiphil of מל״ך. I'm sure that this is what Weingreen was expecting. You could say either הִמְלַ֫כְתִּי אֹתְךָ or (with the attached suffix) הִמְלַכְתִּ֫יךָ.
Thanxs! I forgot about the verb "to make king" - much better than what I have