Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.4

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.4

Post by Jason Hare »

Here's the fourth drill from this exercise. It's quite long!
The king sought to take the woman to him(self) for a while and she said unto him, ‘My lord, I am the wife of a man’. And the king asked the name of her husband and she told (to) him. And he took a book and he wrote in it and he called (to) the husband of the woman and he said unto him, ‘Take now this book and give it to the judge whom thou with find before the palace’. And the man took the book and he gave (it) to the judge. And the judge read the command of the king which (was) written in the book, saying, ‘Send this man away to the wilderness and he shall die there’. And the judge hearkened to the voice of the king—according to (‘as’) all that he commanded him, so he did. And it was told to the king that the husband of the woman was dead and he took the woman to himself for a wife. And it came to pass in that time that the prophet called unto the king and he was very angry and he said, ‘Thou whom the Lord hath chosen (“who, the Lord hath chosen thee”) for a righteous judge over His people, thou hast sinned before Him and He hath judged thee the judgement of death’.
Have fun!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.4

Post by Glenn Dean »

WOW!! I almost fainted - that's one exercise?!?!?

This will take a long time, but it'll be fun!
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Hidden Hebrew Text

וַיְבַקֵּשׁ הַמֶּ֫לֶךְ לָקַ֫חַת לוֹ אֶת־הָֽאִשָּׁה לְעֵת וַתֹּ֫אמֶר אֵלָיו אֲדֹנִי אֵ֫שֶׁת אִישׁ אָֽנֹכִי וַיִּשְׁאַל הַמֶּ֫לֶךְ שֵׁם בַּעֲלָהּ וַתַּגֵּד לוֹ וַיִּקַּח סֵ֫פֶר וַיִּכְתֹּב בּוֹ וַיִּקְרָא אֶל־בַּ֫עַל הָֽאִשָּׁה וַיֹּ֫אמֶר לוֹ קַח־נָא אֶת־הַסֵּ֫פֶר הַזֶּה וָתֵן אֹתוֹ לַשֹּׁפֵט אֲשֶׁר תִּמְצָא לִפְנֵי הַהֵיכָל וַיִּקַּח הָאִישׁ אֶת־הַסֵּ֫פֶר וַיִּתֵּן לַשֹּׁפֵט וַיִּקְרָא הַשֹּׁפֵט אֶת־מִצְוַת הַמֶּ֫לֶךְ אֲשֶׁר כְּתוּבָה בַּסֵּ֫פֶר לֵאמֹר שַׁלַּח אֶת־הָאִישׁ הַזֶּה אֶל־הַמִּדְבָּר וָמֵת שָׁם וַיִּשְׁמַע הַשֹּׁפֵט אֶל־קוֹל הַמֶּ֫לֶךְ כְּכָל־אֲשֶׁר־צִוָּהוּ וַיַּ֫עַשׂ וַיֻּגַּד לַמֶּ֫לֶךְ כִּי מֵת בַּעַל הָֽאִשָּׁה וַיִּקַּח לוֹ אֶת־הָֽאִשָּׁה לְאִשָּׁה וַיְהִי בָּעֵת הַהִיא וַיִּקְרָא הַנָּבִיא אֶל־הַמֶּ֫לֶךְ וַיִּכְעַס עַד־מְאֹד וַיֹּאמַר אַתָּה אֲשֶׁר בְּחָֽרְךָ יְהוָה לְשֹׁפֵט צַדִּיק עַל־עַמּוֹ חָטָאתָ לְפָנָיו וַיִּשְׁפָּטְךָ מִשְׁפַּט מָוֶת׃
I need to think of how to render "for a while" in biblical Hebrew. In modern, we say זמן מה for "a while," but I can't think of a term that would mean the same thing. Perhaps לעת קצרה "for a short time." I'm not sure. [Note: I decided to go with לְעֵת "for a time."]
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Here's sentence 1:

[The king sought to take the woman to him(self) for a while and she said unto him, ‘My lord, I am the wife of a man.]
Hidden Hebrew Text

המלך בקש לקחת האשה לו לזמן ותאמר לו אדוני אני הייתי האשת איש
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

I figured it would be easier to correct it visually. Don't forget to use את before definite objects and that לו functions like an enclitic and snuggles up to the verb. Also, construct forms don't take articles.

It would also be better to use the vav-consecutive (ויבקש) rather than the perfect (בקש). I wish there were some way that you could indicate that the verb is in the piel rather than the qal, too, at least by the addition of one vowel (בִקש or ויבַקש, for example).
32.4-corrections-for-glenn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

thanxs for the feedback!

As I look at my mistakes, 3 of them I made on previous exercises! Me putting the definite article on the absolute noun - OUCH!

I can definitely put a vowel on Piel and Hiphil verbs (but, unfortunately, I have zero-capability to put all the vowels on any word, but on the Piel I can certainly put a hireq on the first root consonant + dagesh on the 2nd root consonant, and for hiphil put a hireq-yod on the middle root consonant)

Glenn
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

2nd Sentence: And the king asked the name of her husband and she told (to) him.
Hidden Hebrew Text

וישאל המלך שם האישה ותענהו
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

3rd Sentence:And he took a book and he wrote in it and he called (to) the husband of the woman and he said unto him, ‘Take now this book and give it to the judge whom thou with find before the palace’.
Hidden Hebrew Text

וילקח ספר ויכתב בו ויקרא לאיש האשה ויאמר לו לקח הספר הזה ותנו לספת במצא לפני הארמון
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:35 amI need to think of how to render "for a while" in biblical Hebrew. In modern, we say זמן מה for "a while," but I can't think of a term that would mean the same thing. Perhaps לעת קצרה "for a short time." I'm not sure. [Note: I decided to go with לְעֵט "for a time."]
Are you sure? I didn’t remember such a word, so I looked it up. Only once is there a word from a root לעט, a verb in the Hiphil binyan found only in Genesis 25:30. There is an object called an עט which is a sharp metal, usually steel, tool used to engrave in stone Jr 8:8, 17:1, Ps 45:2 (1), Jb 19:24.

Did you mean לעת? That construction has the idea of “at the time”.

I simply said “At that time…” בעת ההוא without trying to give the idea of “for a while”.

There are many places in this English example that just cannot be translated word for word into Biblical Hebrew, even whole sentences need to be rewritten.

Karl W. Randolph.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Glenn Dean wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:15 am 2nd Sentence: And the king asked the name of her husband and she told (to) him.
Hidden Hebrew Text

וישאל המלך שם האישה ותענהו
Note:
אִישׁ - man
הָאִישׁ - the man
אִישָׁהּ - her man
 הָאִישָׁהּ  - {impossible form}
You cannot have both the article and the possessive suffix.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳