Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.4

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
Jason Hare

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.4

Post by Jason Hare »

I just created the [​strike] ( text ) tag just for this!
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
יוֹדֵ֣עַ צַ֭דִּיק נֶ֣פֶשׁ בְּהֶמְתּ֑וֹ וְֽרַחֲמֵ֥י רְ֝שָׁעִ֗ים אַכְזָרִֽי׃
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

kwrandolph wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:21 pm Did you mean לעת?
Yes, clearly I meant לעת and not לעט, as you can see in the phrase just above it and in what I actually wrote in my translation (with tav and not tet). I have corrected my original post accordingly.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Glenn Dean wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:35 am 3rd Sentence: And he took a book and he wrote in it and he called (to) the husband of the woman and he said unto him, ‘Take now this book and give it to the judge whom thou with find before the palace’.
Hidden Hebrew Text

וילקח ספר ויכתב בו ויקרא לאיש האשה ויאמר לו לקח הספר הזה ותנו לספת במצא לפני הארמון
What is the imperfect 3ms form of לקח ("he will take")? What is the imperative 2ms form ("take!")? Don't forget that לקח conjugates like those first-nun verbs in which ל assimilates (*yilqaḥyiqqaḥ יִקַּח like *yinśāʾyiśśāʾ יִשָּׂא).

Remember את before הספר הזה (definite direct object).

Rather than ספת, should read ש(ו)פט "judge."

"Whom thou wilt find" is אשר תמצא, and "palace" is היכל.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:05 pm You cannot have both the article and the possessive suffix.
Ah, thanxs! I forgot - by virtue of putting the possessive suffix means it's definite!
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

Jason Hare wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:42 pm What is the imperfect 3ms form of לקח ("he will take")? What is the imperative 2ms form ("take!")? Don't forget that לקח conjugates like those first-nun verbs in which ל assimilates (*yilqaḥyiqqaḥ יִקַּח like *yinśāʾyiśśāʾ יִשָּׂא).
thanxs for catching that!!
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

I had to "punt" on "the judge whom thou with find"

but would it be something like השפט אשר תמצא (that is you use the imperfect 2ms 'you will find') ??
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Glenn Dean wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:35 pm I had to "punt" on "the judge whom thou with find"

but would it be something like השפט אשר תמצא (that is you use the imperfect 2ms 'you will find') ??
Precisely.
Jason Hare
Tel Aviv, Israel
The Hebrew Café
ספר משלי י״ב, י׳
kwrandolph

Post by kwrandolph »

Here are a few notes showing my thinking as I try to make this translation.

“to seek” in English, or if you wish to use בקש in Hebrew, has the main idea of searching for, or in this case looking for a way to marry the woman. What is really meant is that he desired to marry her, so I used a word meaning to desire.

To desire a particular person or thing is חמד while a generalized desire is אוה. Because the king desired a specific woman, I used the term חמד.

To say that a woman is married, literally is “mastered” בעולה and her husband can be either “her man” אישה or “her master” בעלה.

“To tell” comes from the root נגד so that’s the verb I used for when the woman told the king the name of her husband.

“Palace” is a word that is not found in Biblical Hebrew. There is a word whose basic meaning is used for any large building such as a mansion, and very often for the temple. I assume that here Weingreen meant the king’s palace, which is often rendered in Hebrew as “the king’s house” which is what I used.

“writing in a document” presupposes that the document be taken, therefore I see no need to say “he took a book”, I simply omitted it. However, the document is addressed to a certain judge, so I added to whom the document is addressed. In this I followed the example of how this was described in the story of David with Bathsheba.

In the message, “to send” is really too gentle. One who is merely sent can make his way back. In that the kings wants the man to die, the idea is more “to drive him out” which is גרש.

These are some notes from the first paragraph. The second paragraph is for when the prophet comes into the presence of the king.

Should I make my first paragraph public?

Karl W. Randolph.
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

4th sentence: And the man took the book and he gave (it) to the judge.
Hidden Hebrew Text

ויקח האיש את־הספר ויתן אתו אל־השפט
Glenn Dean

Post by Glenn Dean »

5th sentence:And the judge read the command of the king which (was) written in the book, saying, ‘Send this man away to the wilderness and he shall die there’.
Hidden Hebrew Text

ויקר השפט את־מצות המלך אשר כתבה בספר לאמר שלח האיש הזה למדבר וימות שם