Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.6

A forum for discussion about writing in ancient Hebrew, and for practicing writing in Hebrew. If you post in this forum, you are inviting people to critique what you have written and suggest ways to improve it.

Private subforums can be created for groups who want to practice together without exposing their mistakes to the world, or this can be done in public.
Forum rules
Members will observe the rules for respectful discourse at all times!
Please sign all posts with your first and last (family) name.
jordan17182

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.6

Post by jordan17182 »

Jason Hare wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:53 am
How many different symbols are there in hieroglyphics? Aren’t there hundreds? Thousands?
The unicode block contains around 1000 characters, there are a few thousand more but they occur less frequently or are associated only with later periods (When the number of signs grew tremendously).
Jordan Furutani
kwrandolph

Re: Weingreen Grammar, Composition 32.6

Post by kwrandolph »

Jason Hare wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:52 am
kwrandolph wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:45 pm In Hebrew conversation as recorded in Tanakh, the personal pronoun is found fronting a sentence, without it being an emphatic.
Could you provide some examples?
I looked up אתה ידעת and found 20 verses where that phrase is found. Verses such as Deuteronomy 9:2, Joshua 14:6, 1 Samuel 28:9 appear to me non-emphatic. The same with אני אלך in 2 Kings 6:3.
Jason Hare wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:52 am
kwrandolph wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:45 pm If you want to make it emphatic, you’ll need to add something. Do you have any idea of what to add to make it emphatic?
No. What would that be?
Here I’m sort of guessing, as this question hadn’t occurred to me before. It appears that the emphatic may be הנך “behold you”, found 13 times in Tanakh, may be the way to emphasize the “you” in the sentence.

Karl W. Randolph.